Currently Reading #4

Currently Reading #4 | bluchickenninja.com

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley.

I haven’t actually started the Frankenstein story yet, the first 100 pages of this book is an introduction to the story. One thing it mentions is the books Mary Shelley was reading while writing Frankenstein. As a graphic designer I found this really interesting. The first thing we would do after getting a project brief was go to google and look for inspiration. Its cool to see some things haven’t changed in 200 years.

I also finished Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children this week which marked the completion of my 52 books challenge (woooooo). Like most YA books I really wasn’t impressed with it and don’t understand what all the hype is about.

12 Responses to “Currently Reading #4”

1. Madame Vauquer

When I read Frankenstein, it was a real eye-opener. I only knew it from the movies, lol.

Congratulations on finishing your Goodreads challenge!

2. Katie Hamer

I have to admit, with some regret, that I’ve never read Frankenstein; regret, because Mary Shelley wrote it whilst living in my birth town of Marlow-on-Thames. To think, I passed her house every day on my way to school…

3. Sweet B

I just picked up a copy tonight. My bestie and I went to see a showing of a National Theatre production of Frankenstein. It was amazing!

4. Nayu

I have to agree on Ms Peregrine’s home for Peculiar Children, I read it in the beginning of last year, and I remember being surprised that I was one of the few not impressed by the book. I also read Frankenstein earlier this month and it was rather good, especially interesting because of how different it is from pop culture versions I was familiar with.

5. wallcat

I’d like to try and read through some of the classic horror stories like this some time. I read that she was quite young when writing Frankenstein and that it wasn’t received very well on first release, which is interesting considering how much of an icon it has since become.

6. flygirl140

I read Frankenstein years ago and enjoyed it for the most part. I think she was a gifted writer and I was left pitying her when I realized that she was a teen when she produced what I consider a very tragic tale. My main complaint with the story is that her husband should have butted out. His whiny overly poetic sections leave the story dragging and do nothing to match the tone of her writing.

7. Kyaru

I saw that Ransom Riggs book in the bookstore the other. I was wondering what it was about. I look forward to reading the review.

I was going to say I’d never read Frankenstein, but then I started remembering excerpts from the book. Must have blocked it out, eep.

8. Marigold

Frankenstein! I really need to read that – it’s been sitting on my shelf for years. Why haven’t I gotten to it yet? Why? I hope you are enjoying it!

9. Magpiemakingdo

Congrats on the challenge completion! I have never been able to fully finish one of those – I really need to get my ass in gear when it comes to reading.

And Frankenstein is pretty good – but in my experience it’s soooo much better if you know a bit about Shelley’s life and history as you read it, so that’s awesome that they’ve included a nice solid intro.

10. akosirima

I would love to do a book challenge too. 🙂 It’s nice that you are reading books. My cousin is a designer too. 🙂