30 Day Book Challenge // 5

Your “comfort” book.

Duma Key by Stephen KingIf you were to ask me to list my favourite authors Stephen King would probably be at the top. However even though he is one of my favourite authors I have only finished a few of his books, The Green Mile and Pet Sematary being two of them. In fact I have given up on more of his book than I have finished.

But Duma Key is different. Duma Key is the reason why Stephen King is one of my favourite authors. I love this book. I love this book so much that it literally went everywhere with me for a year. Every time I had a free moment I would pull this book out and read a few pages.

I think the reason why I love this book, is that even though it is a horror and at some points is quite terrifying. Stephen King has managed to make this book feel warm and sunny and not at all scary.

25 Responses to “30 Day Book Challenge // 5”

1. Sean J

Duma Key is one of my favorite King novels. I like the way he can make you feel kind of comfortable with his characters and then they do really awful, creepy things!

2. wildbilbo

This is sitting on my self, unread, a gift some years ago when I wasn’t reading much.

I shall correct this post-haste!

3. Forestwoodfolkart

Interesting that you liked this one. I have only read one of Stephen King’s books, and of course have seen several of the movies, like most people. The fact that this one appealed to you more than the others, makes me think more about reading it.

4. FlyTrapMan

I’ve heard many people praise Duma Key, but I tend to read King’s short stories — I can’t get into his longer material. Do you read Clive Barker?

Thats funny. I prefer his longer books, I haven’t read many of his short stories. I haven’t heard of Clive Barker unfortunately. Apart from Stephen King I don’t read any horror books.

5. orples

I always loved Sidney Sheldon, and only recently found out he was the creator of ‘I Dream of Jeannie’, an old 1960’s comedy sitcom starring Barbra Eden and Larry Hagman. You may have heard of the show? Or, maybe not, since you’re so young. Either way, I was surprised because it was a far cry from some of his books that I’d read. A talented author is evidently not limited by genre. Stephen King is another prime example of a versatile author, which, no doubt, is why he’s one of the greats.

6. Michael

I truly liked Duma Key as well. I just read it for the first time a couple of months ago. I have been a fan of King every since Carrie came out in paperback back in the 70s when I was in high school. From that time I made a point of reading all his works when they first came out in paperback until the time I entered college at the late age of 35 in the mid 90s. I picked back up a few years after my degree and his works were a familiar place to revisit. Kind of nostalgic, ya know?

That being said, let me offer a few comments on Duma Key. A spoiler alert or two might be in order. I found his use of foreshadowing to be a little heavy-handed. Who didn’t know or strongly suspect the death of Ilse at a VERY early stage in the book – and repeated often.

I was constantly pulled out of the story by King’s overuse of the word f**k — in all its various forms. At one point I wondered how many occurrences of that 4 letter expletive might be counted. I have nothing against the word in literature only prudish grounds. It’s judicious use is good to define character speech and demeanor. it is a proper word for expression of strong emotion put into the mouth or writings of the appropriate character.

Finally, the climax was strikingly formulaic of horror stories in the Vampire genre. Racing against sundown in the deserted and appropriately spook mansion.

Now that I’ve said all this negative stuff, let me say that I truly enjoyed the book. The most egregious thing I found was the overuse of the word, f**k. I was reading somthing akin to classic King and this comes from a man who read all his early stuff when it first hit paperback. I was prepared for the language even though I thought it to be overused. The horror genre lends itself sooooo naturally to storylines like “racing the sunlight.” The foreshadowing of Ilse’s demise were a bit overdone bu tolerable.

The point was it was Stephen King, one of the grand masters of pulp horror. He satisfied my appetite and I devoured it in short order.

I’ve read Duma Key a few times but never noticed any foreshadowing. I’m definitely going to have to go read it again now that you’ve pointed it out.

I haven’t read any vampire novels but I really want to now that I know the ending is similar to them.

• Michael

For the “race to sundown” theme refer to the very earliest of the genre that I know — Bram Stoker’s “Dracula.” It is hard for me to remember back to S. King’s “Salem’s Lot” But I think you’ll find it there as well. It’s a standard form of suspense and climax build in horror stories with undead adverse to sunlight. By the time I was a quarter way through Duma, I was asking a friend who had already read it, “No details, but Ilse dies — doesn’t she.” After asking him, I noted several more foreshadows. Foreshadowing is a perfectly acceptable form, but can be overdone.

• Madame Vauquer

Oh dear, sad to hear about the too numerous occurrences of the F word. I hate that when it’s page after page. Well, at least I’ve been warned, so thank you, that will help.

7. ireadthat

I consider myself a Stephen King fan as well! Admittedly like you I have not read all of his books and have ‘half finished some’ but still I consider him one of my favorite authors. strange..

I think it feels different with Stephen King because he has written so much. Its weird saying you like an author because of 1 book when they have written over 30. But any normal author might only write 3 or 4 books.

8. Madame Vauquer

I finished Duma Key a few minutes ago – wow! I’m so glad you wrote this post, Emma, otherwise I might never have read this book and I loved it. From the last 200 or 300 pages, I literally couldn’t put it down. Talk about compelling reading!