30 Day Book Challenge // 10

A book you thought you wouldn’t like but ended up loving.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by JK RowlingMy mum bought me the first two books in the Harry Potter series way back in 1998. I must have been 8 or 9 at the time. And I really did not like them. I started reading The Chamber of Secrets first not realising it was the second book in the series (I still do this sometimes). I had no idea what was going on in the book and I hated it.

I’m not sure why I went back and started The Philosophers Stone but I must have done. In my last year of primary school (around 2000/2001) I did a talk with a friend on The Goblet of Fire. We must have given away spoilers for the end of the book as I remember our teacher getting annoyed because she hadn’t finished the book yet.

16 Responses to “30 Day Book Challenge // 10”

1. Bruce Stern

This post about your Harry Potter early reading experience could have been interesting if the story didn’t end before it was completed.
    Also, take time to proofread.

I had intended this post to be an anecdote. There is nothing more to the story than what is written.

If I have made a spelling or grammatical error I would appreciate it if you just pointed it out. I read my posts a number of times before they go up on my blog but there is always a chance I have missed something.

2. kedavis99

The fact that your teacher get upset about spoilers makes me giggle, I’ve done the whole “hands over my ears, la la la” thing when my students talk about books I haven’t finished. I actually borrowed Goblet from a student to read it. I hate picking up a book that is not the first in the series. I love my mom but she used to be really bad about giving me books that were second or even third, one time it was the 9th book. UGH.

Oh yeah that makes me laugh now. It never occurred to me that my teacher would read Harry Potter. Obviously I was wrong.

My mum was really good at picking books for me. She was brilliant at choosing the books which have become popular. I must have read The Book Thief some time in 2007. Just as it came out. Now everyone seems to be reading it.

3. scifihammy

That is so true, what you say – The book you thought you wouldn’t like! I bought HP for my kids. I refused to get caught up in all the hype, but picked it up to read in the end, and found it a surprisingly good read. 🙂
    Also, I don’t understand the first (spam-like) comment by Bruce. Your early reading anecdote Is complete, And amusing! And I don’t see any errors! I have myself posted blogs that I have checked and re-checked, only to discover some time later there is still an error. It happens.
    But I don’t see any errors here.

I sound like such a hipster but I read the Harry Potter books before the hype. But yeah its a good read for everyone not just kids.

I didn’t understand that other comment either. I had already checked it but there is always a chance I had missed something. I was looking at a couple of my posts from the start of the year and noticed a huge spelling error in one. I was kicking myself that it took so long for me to notice it.

• scifihammy

I really think that comment was rude! I’d delete it and then forget about it! As you read so much, of course you are particular about your writing – but a few mistakes will always get away from us. I am hampered by lots of words being underlined in red because I use the English spelling! Just keep up with your very interesting posts for the rest of us normal people to enjoy 🙂

4. transforminglifenow

I bought this for my kids, read it to them and ended up hooked. When we went to the first movie there were all these elderly people there talking about how they hoped they lived to read the whole series. Sad. I hope they did, but so many years went by before she finished. I actually think about this a lot. My neighbor died before finishing the Sue Grafton series. She was really upset about it, and made me promise to read them all. I’m waiting for her to finish the series before I start reading them.

I have to say I think its great that you read to your kids. My parents weren’t so good. My dad would start reading us a book but fall asleep after 3 or 4 pages. My sister and I would have to read the book by ourselves if we wanted to finish it.

• transforminglifenow

My Mom read to me, so it came naturally. I also always have my nose in a book. This was a good week…I read 3 books. Didn’t get all the writing I wanted to do done, but I sure read a lot! 🙂

5. Joanne Corey

My then elementary school aged daughter had trouble getting into the opening chapters of the first Harry Potter book, which led to our reading the whole series aloud as a family.

6. Quest Sickle

Something similar happened to me. I was in my school’s library with nothing to read. My old favorite series was not there, but then I saw people taking out books from the Harry Potter section, so I took out the first book, The Sorceror’s Stone, something I have never done before (honestly I never had read a series in order before reading Harry Potter). Then I got interested and read the following, and here I am trying to finish the Half-Blood Prince between all the things on my mind! 😀

7. 30 Day Book Challenge | bluchickenninja

[…] DAY 7. A guilty pleasure book. DAY 8. Most underrated book. DAY 9. Most overrated book. DAY 10. A book you thought you wouldn’t like but ended up loving. DAY 11. Favourite classic book. DAY 12. A book you wanted to read for a long time but still […]