30 Day Book Challenge // 12

A book you wanted to read for a long time but still haven’t.

The Silmarillion by JRR TolkienI’ve been wanting to read The Silmarillion ever since I finished The Lord of the Rings. So for more than 10 years. I’ve started it a number of times but The Silmarillion is an extremely complicated book.

The Silmarillion describes in detail the creation story of Middle Earth along with the tale of the Silmarils – three mystical gems created by the elves and stolen by Morgoth for his crown.

It is written in an almost biblical style which makes it hard to read. It is not written like Tolkien’s other works and part of this is because it was only in draft form when he passed and part of this is because it is a mythical epic. And I think I was just too young at the time to understand what Tolkien was trying to explain.

27 Responses to “30 Day Book Challenge // 12”

1. Sinziana

I started this book many times but never finished…hope I will is really great!

2. redjim99

I’ve read it twice, it is hard to get through but the second time I dipped in and out reading each part as separate myths so to speak. Did it start out as detailed notes for the Lord of the Rings stories?

Jim

• Michael

I agree. Your second reading is the best method of reading it. I tried reading it straight through and only made it about halfway, got discouraged and put it down. I tried again a couple of years later and used it more of a reference work — which is the way and why it was written BTW.

According to wikipedia the publishers asked Tolkien for a sequel to the Hobbit. So Tolkien sent them an early draft of The Silmarillion which was rejected because of a misunderstanding. Tolkien then went on to write what would become the first chapter of the Fellowship of the Ring.

3. kedavis99

I’ve also started this book and put it back down, it’s just not as easy to read as The Hobbit or any of the LOTR trilogy. I would like to finish it though. Maybe after I read some of the Shakespeare on my TBR list it will seem easier 🙂

4. retiredmustang62

It provides a lot of background for The Hobbit and the LOTR trilogy. The biggest problem I had with it when I was young was my expectation that it would be a story like the others. Once I started reading it for background, and with the understanding that it really is an unfinished work, it became much easier to read and understand.

5. Madame Vauquer

I too was anxious to read this after reading The Hobbit and the trilogy. I must have purchased it about thirty years or so ago. When that fat book had sat unread on my shelves for around twenty years, it finally didn’t make the cut during one of my moves.

6. Dora Argh

I have tried (several times) and also failed in reading the entire The Silmarillion. It is harder to read and also, you have to be super pumped in order for you to understand it. But I would someday buckle down and read the entire thing. 🙂

7. raelove1950

After reading all three Rings books as well as The Hobbit, I read Silmarillion. It was very detailed and slow-going but filled in many of the blanks and answered many of the questions I had while reading all the other books.

8. 30 Day Book Challenge | bluchickenninja

[…] DAY 1. Book series you wish had gone on longer. DAY 2. Favourite side character. DAY 3. The longest book you’ve read. DAY 4. Book turned into a movie and completely desecrated. DAY 5. Your “comfort” book. DAY 6. Book you’ve read the most number of times. DAY 7. A guilty pleasure book. DAY 8. Most underrated book. DAY 9. Most overrated book. DAY 10. A book you thought you wouldn’t like but ended up loving. DAY 11. Favourite classic book. DAY 12. A book you wanted to read for a long time but still haven’t. […]

9. Michael

Anyone besides me just totally skip the elvish part of LOTR? I mean it is all very great that Tolkien was a gifted linguist even going so far as to invent his own language–Elvish. Still, this is stuff that only another linguist could love — or maybe someone who speaks Klingon. 🙂 Sheldon Cooper also might get a big bang out of it.

You have to admit that inventing a language is quite impressive. Its not as easy as you may think it is. Or I might just be saying that because I’m a Star Trek fan.

10. Astrid Tuttle Winegar

Skip everything except the chapter on Beren and Luthien and the chapter on Turin Turambar—if you’re not hardcore into Tolkien, these are the best stories in the book (and would make excellent movie adaptations…).

11. Ste J

I loved this book, the first 100 pages were bewildering but the index helped immensely, after that everything seemed to flow and the epicness commenced, it was very biblical, I enjoyed that aspect of it though, it seemed to give it more clout.

12. NevermoreDecor

Same! I’ve tried to get through The Silmarillion so many times, because I would love to have all that background info, but it is just so dense, and biblical! Not an easy read.

13. fireflyin

Love the Silmarillion, more than the rest actually. Maybe because it consists of short stories and is a much quicker read. But also because I think this is the book that inspired my love for world building. 🙂