30 Day Book Challenge // 22

Least favourite plot device.

I’m not even sure if this is a plot device but one thing that annoys me more than anything else is romance in young adult books. I admit I am not a fan of any sort of romance so I might be slightly biased here but I have a particular hatred of romance in YA books. I don’t mean I hate all romantic YA books. I hate books where romance is an important plot point where it really shouldn’t be.

One of the worst offenders is Across The Universe. In this book we see a teenager wake from stasis and find herself on a ship. She finds out she will probably never see her parents again. You would think the story would be about her adapting to life on the ship and trying to find out why someone onboard is trying to kill the other people in stasis. Instead most of the story is revolves around the girl falling in love with the only guy her age on the ship.

Nothing annoys me more than a book with romance where there really shouldn’t be romance. For example, A Mad and Wonderful Thing by Mark Mulholland. Romance is an important part of that book. We see a character trying to juggle growing up and falling in love while also being a sniper for the IRA. The romance is important because he grows as a character because of it.

Now take Black Ice by Becca Fitzpatrick. This story is about a girl and her friend who go to spend a weekend in the mountains but are kidnapped after a bad snow storm. This is a survival story. But this book is more about who this girl is currently in love with than it is about survival. I’m not sure about anyone else but if I was kidnapped I wouldn’t be thinking about hot guys. But thats just me.

I don’t mean to sound like I’m hating on YA books. Some of my all time favourite books are YA. But this problem of inappropriate romance seems to only occur in YA.

14 Responses to “30 Day Book Challenge // 22”

1. Jayde Onyx Lei

I do not take kindly to sap books. I never read them and hate the films. Then I met a man and everything bleek is now bold. I suppose the authors writing those novels are in the same sap bubble as I. Its literally a drug you cannot shake off. Mostly annoying, a tad bit awesome sauce!

2. siterinadi

I agree and unfortunately this, eh, plot device, is not only confined to YA books but to older adults books as well.

3. hncook4

I agree. I’m not a big fan of romance to begin with, but I don’t mind if it works well with the plot. I don’t like when the story is described as a dystopian or fantasy when it mainly focuses on the characters interest in each other. It should have been placed in the romance or contemporary genre or described as a romance with a touch of fantasy.

4. lawrenceez

yeah, I’ve noticed this too in YA. The main character’s world starts to fall apart but the writer engineers a romantic laison that doesn’t seem quite convincing.

5. 30 Day Book Challenge | bluchickenninja

[…] DAY 20. Favourite childhood book. DAY 21. Book you tell people you’ve read but haven’t. DAY 22. Least favourite plot device. DAY 23. Best book you’ve read in the last 12 months. DAY 24. Book you’re most embarrassed to […]

6. Ann

Maybe this is a problem with the way books are categorized at bookstores and libraries. In adult books, there are sections for general fiction, mysteries, westerns, romance, sci-fi and fantasy. The YA section has everything all jumbled together.

YA romance fiction got boring for me after only a few books because it’s the same basic plot in different settings – formulaic. Even the characters don’t vary much. It’s one of the things that got me reading adult fiction exclusively when I was a teenager.

7. The Great Gabsby

Oh, I thought I was the only one who had this problem! Every other book blog I’ve read gushes on and on about the luuuuurrrveeee. My biggest pet peeve is instalove.

Ugh romance. I don’t mind it when the romance works as part of the story but I hate stories that are basically modern day Romeo and Juliette.