Currently Reading #11

Revival by Stephen King

Revival by Stephen King.

In a small New England town, in the early 60s, a shadow falls over a small boy playing with his toy soldiers. Jamie Morton looks up to see a striking man, the new minister. Charles Jacobs, along with his beautiful wife, will transform the local church. With Jamie, the Reverend shares a deeper bond, based on their fascination with simple experiments in electricity. Their bond becomes a pact beyond even the Devil’s devising, and Jamie discovers that revival has many meanings. Because for every cure there is a price…

I was really disappointed with this book. It was slow, boring and I didn’t care for the characters. It felt like it would have worked better as a novella rather than a full length story. However, the final 30 pages were fantastic. Like classic terrifying Stephen King. I was told that the ending was very H. P. Lovecraft however I haven’t read any of his work so cannot confirm this. But this ending gave me a lot of trouble in trying to rate the book. While the end is brilliant it still does not – in my opinion – make paying full price for this book worthwhile.

25 Responses to “Currently Reading #11”

1. ahouseofbooks

Sounds disappointing. I used to read Stephen King and other horror novelists many years ago – not sure this review tempts be back to the genre!

2. FlyTrapMan

I never heard of this particular book, but I find it odd how many books King is able to pump out every couple years. From my experience — his work is rather predictable. How many of his stories involve writers and paranormal? Almost all of them? Well…I can’t say that — I haven’t read all his books.

I wouldn’t say every one of his books is about writers, and he writes mostly horror books so you have to expect some sort of paranormal element. One thing I have noticed is most of his books are set in Maine.

I don’t think he is the fastest writer either. He releases maybe 1 book a year. Think how many books Agatha Christie wrote. She would release maybe 2 or 3 a year.

• FlyTrapMan

Castle Rock, right? I know he references that town often. I have a book called Blaze, which Stephen King wrote under a pen name — Richard Bachman. I haven’t read Blaze, but it might be worth checking out.

I read Blaze years ago. It was fantastic. Even though the main character was technically the bad guy you really felt sorry for him by the end of the book. You should try reading it.

3. mycreativeresolution2014

Thanks for the review! I just saw today that he had a new book and was wondering if I should read it. I used to read his books all the time (25 years ago!) He wrote a really interesting book that is part autobiography, part advice on writing. I think it’s called “on writing.”

4. Valentina

This is so helpful and cool. Are you really reading a whole book a day? I only recently started following you and I missed the post where you explained it, sorry!

5. Elyse

I’m so glad I read this post! I had been wondering about this book, but since I hadn’t read anything by Stephen King I was unsure about what to expect so I hadn’t bought it yet. I guess I’ll pass on this one!

6. Jay

I’m impressed, your blog is so nice and Christmassy!
    I’ll have to check out a few posts. I just finished a good book and can’t decide where to go next!

7. Ann

King’s been a bit hot-and-cold the last few years. I started several of his recent books and didn’t finish them…