Currently Reading #17

The Art of Asking by Amanda Palmer

The Art of Asking by Amanda Palmer.

Rock star, crowdfunding pioneer, and TED speaker Amanda Palmer knows all about asking. Performing as a living statue in a wedding dress, she wordlessly asked thousands of passersby for their dollars. When she became a singer, songwriter, and musician, she was not afraid to ask her audience to support her as she surfed the crowd. And when she left her record label to strike out on her own, she asked her fans to support her in making an album, leading to the world’s most successful music Kickstarter.

The first thing I think everyone should know about this book is that you don’t need to be a fan of Amanda Palmer or her music to enjoy it. The book was advertised as a longer version of her TED talk however I felt it was more like an autobiography. The book tells the story of Amanda’s life but it also shows the ways she has asked her fans and the online community for help, from finding somewhere to sleep to finding musicians to play on stage with her. Throughout the book Amanda shows that it is okay to ask for help, as she puts it “take the donut“. I genuinely believe that if you want your blog or any other artistic endeavour to become a full time job you shouldΒ read this book.

27 Responses to “Currently Reading #17”

1. Anonymous

Hey thanks for this, she is really rather cool, I never would have searched for as a writer of books until I read your post. Thanks a million.

2. Ebi Poweigha

I’ve seen her play live! She is definitely the sort of person willing to stick her neck out & do the unpopular thing, whether it’s ask for money or whatever. Actually, I also saw her in her wedding dress-statue days, too. Her trajectory has been quite interesting, cool to hear that her book is as well.

3. tamaralowery

Very insightful review. Thank you for bringing this book to my attention. I think it might be good research for self promotion of my books. πŸ™‚

4. Karlee

I read this book in November over only a few days. I couldn’t put it down. It made me laugh, it made me cry – it was really an amazing and inspirational read. I think “taking the donut” is something that can be applied in anything in life – for me it’s accepting help from my family when my mental illness gets the better of me.

5. Imani Hutton

After watching her TED talk, I was inspired to do the same thing on my bandcamp page. It worked for awhile, but i especially admire her “DIY” approach and attitude that nothing is impossible! Thanks for sharing!

6. Nyx

I saw her TEDTalk on the subject, and it helped me to finally let go of my anxiety over crowdfunding my book. I’m so glad she extended it into a book. One for the wishlist!

7. lthikes

I just finished reading this and loved it! Thank you for recommending it. πŸ™‚

8. LLocascio

This book was amazing. I fully credit the Dresden Dolls for my successful survival of high school but I didn’t hop onto Amanda’s social media boat. Reconnecting with the woman she’s turned into was a great experience and I think it the Art of Asking is a fantastic memoir.

True story: I bout a $20 ukulele after finishing this book and regularly serenade my dog with ridiculous dog-themed songs.