What I Read In March

What I Read In March | bluchickenninja.com

The Humans by Matt Haig. This is basically the story of an alien that comes to Earth and is trying to understand why we humans do the things we do and it was really enjoyable.

The Martian by Andy Weir. So for the last 6 months every time I talked to my sister about books she would go “Have you read The Martian? Its really good“. And finally I read The Martian and its really good. This is the first book in years where I have actually laughed out loud while reading it. Go read it.

The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North. This book is a little hard to get your head around at first. Its about time travel and its about physics and its about history. Again I really enjoyed this.

The People’s Guide to J. R. R. Tolkien by theonering.net. This was a bit of a strange find, I came across it in a charity shop. It is basically a collection of essays from theonering.net’s forums. It has essays on everything from why J. R. R. Tolkien writes female characters the way he does – or did. To a moderator’s account of spending a week in New Zealand on set during the filming of The Lord of The Rings.

Bad Pharma by Ben Goldacre. This is about the ways that pharmaceutical companies lie to doctors and patients. This was really fascinating and even includesย ways that you can help change the industry.

How To Build A Girl by Caitlin Moran. I didn’t enjoy this as much as I expected to. The book is at least partially autobiographical but the entire way through I was constantlyย wondering if these situations were made up or had actually happened to the author.

The Mirror World of Melody Black by Gavin Extence. I really likeย Gavin Extence’s other book and I enjoyed this. It was nice to read about a character with a mental illness which actually showed the character getting better. The only problem I had with this book was the title, there is a ‘mirror world’ idea in this book but I didn’t think it played a big enough part that the book should be named after it. Maybe thats just me.

Books I Reviewed In March

What I Read In March | bluchickenninja.com
Wylie ~The Room ~ The Catalyst ~ Arcadia
The Book of Strange New Things ~ Those Above ~ The Shore

53 Responses to “What I Read In March”

1. Lynn Love

Just bought The Martian for my other half for his birthday- partly so I could read it after him!

Have you been watching ‘Raised by Wolves’ on C4, written by Caitlin Moran and her sister? It’s a sitcom based on their childhoods- ish (it’s set now, not in the nineties when they were kids). Quite rude, very funny, very real about being a girl. Well written too. Shame you didn’t like the book- she sounds quite funny in real life.

I watched the pilot episode. I’ve been meaning to go watch the others but totally forgot to be honest. But from what I did see its very funny. She is funny in real life, I really enjoy watching her interviews but the book just wasn’t what I expected.

Hope you like The Martian ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Books'N'Feathers

The Martian! My best friend and I went book shopping last Sat and she wouldn’t stop about it so I picked it up, didn’t really take too much convincing from her part since I’ve been in love with astronomy for as far as I could remember. If I can’t become an astronaut, I can at least read about one. I really hope it’s as great as it sounds!

3. myschiefmanaged

Hi there! First of all- I really love your blog name, so quirky and cute. Have I mentioned this to you? Because I keep talking about your blog and book reviews to my friends. They are a great help.
    Second of all- I love the way your personality mirrors your writings. So original.
    Great post Ninja!! :p โค

4. A Voluptuous Mind

This looks an interesting list. I was interested in what your view would be on How To Build a Girl and you pretty much summed up how I felt about it. I’m going to check out some of the others on your list!

5. Victorius

Wondering if the ‘alien’ leaves Earth as fast as possible–or stays? LOL Love your list–I would have thought ‘How to Build a Girl’ would have been interesting also, at least the title is intriguing. Next book I buy–promise I will come here first!

I’m not going to give away any spoilers so you will have to read The Humans and find out!

How to Build a Girl was good, it just wasn’t as good as I thought it was going to be.

6. Svea

We have such similar taste in books! I also read Bad Pharma, How to Build A Girl, and The Martian over the past few months!

7. shazzameena

I just finished ‘The Life I Left Behind’, a recommendation from you a while back. It was certainly a page-turner. Just what I needed. Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

8. Lynn Love

Hi, Emma, I nominated you for a ‘Five photos, five days’ challenge- on 5 consecutive days you post a pic and write something to go along with it. Each day you nominate someone else to carry it on. Here’s one of my efforts on Word Shamble https://lynnmlovewords.wordpress.com/
    Please do not feel in any way obligated- I know you’re always busy with your own stuff. Just a bit of fun ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you Lynn. I think I was actually nominated for something like this a few weeks ago. I had planned on doing that challenge soon and while I don’t think these are exactly the same I will mention you in that post.

Thanks again ๐Ÿ™‚

9. Elissaveta

when I look at your pile of reads, I feel bad with my meagre two books… I really have to make more reading time especially as my wish list keeps growing every day! Thanks for sharing eitherway ๐Ÿ™‚

10. aeclausen

The Martian was an excellent. It made me laugh, made me cry, and honestly had one of the most satisfying endings I can think of (at least off the top of my head). I’m slightly worried as to what they’ll do with the upcoming movie though.

Yeah it will be really interesting to see how they make it into a movie. I imagine it will sort of be like Apollo 13. I just hope they don’t ruin it!

11. davidhartley62

I have a gigantic stack of unread books, but bookshops are there to be browsed in. So it was that I found “The Martian” and it grabbed my attention. I have now added it to my pile and hope to read it sometime this millennium.
    My nick-name at my first job was the Martian. (I didn’t mind being thought of as spacey. It could have been worse!) The story looks a bit like that old SF film where an astronaut is stranded on Mars.
    Have you read the Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson? A bit too heavy for my tastes, but I liked the concept of the first Martian colony and what troubles they may face.

If you get the chance you should read The Martian soon. Its being made into a movie, and its really good.

I’ve never heard of that series before, I shall take a look at it. Thanks.

12. sharu4ever

Wow! That’s a interesting list. If you could suggest me one book from that lot, what would you suggest? ๐Ÿ™‚

13. <3 missus <3

I don’t know any of the mentioned books, but that picture you took of them is soooo… GORGEOUS and inspiring it makes me want to drop everything, sit down and grab a book myself… *sigh* :)!!!