My Favourite First Sentences

I recently watched a video where Sanne (BooksandQuills) shared her favourite first sentences in books. I thought that sounded like fun so here are my favourite first sentences. I also think that this was a tag originally so if anyone wants to share their favourite first sentences feel free to do so.

My Favourite First Sentences | bluchickenninja.com

“All children, except one, grow up.”
– Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie

“The children were playing while Holston climbed to his death; he could hear them squealing as only happy children do.”
– Wool by Hugh Howie

“All this happened, more or less.”
– Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut

“Mr and Mrs Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.”
– Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone by J. K. Rowling

“The windows of a spaceship casually frame miracles.”
– An Astronaut’s Guide To Life On Earth by Chris Hadfield

47 Responses to “My Favourite First Sentences”

1. paulznewpostbox

“Today was to be the most momentous day in the life of Rupert DeVille”
    From ‘The Abduction of Rupert DeVille’ by Paul White………(ME)!

2. amandaquirky

β€œIt is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.” –Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

“Call me Ishmael.” –Herman Melville, Moby Dick

“Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again.” –Daphne du Maurier, Rebecca

3. curiousdaisies

My favorites are the sentences in Anna Karenina and Pride and Prejudice. Great idea. I just might do this too! πŸ˜€

4. kirstenlucena

When I read your title I instantly thought of Harry Potter & the Philosophers stone. This is a great idea that I’d never thought about. Definitely want to give it a go. Thanks πŸ™‚

5. laurenpickens

I love her vlogs!!!! You have awesome favorite first sentences, I think I have the most love for HP!
    My favorite first sentence is “The circus arrives without warning” from Erin Morgenstern’s The Night Circus. It’s really simple but embodies all of the elegance and magic that is present in the book!

• laurenpickens

She’s awesome! I find her voice so soothing and her collabs are great as well!
        I’ve read it at least four times and every time I catch little things that I missed and fall in love with it all over again!!!

Yeah she’s great!

I didn’t like The Night Circus that much first time I read it. Or well… I didn’t love it the way I thought I was going to. I think I definitely need to go read it again.

6. jessicacrafts

This is great! I might do this at some point but my two favourites are here already. Harry Potter and peterpan opening lines are the best.

Yup! I love that Harry Potter one. I actually had that as the ringtone on my phone for a while, it was by accident I must add. No idea how it happened.

• jessicacrafts

haha, brilliant. I’m sure everyone believed you when you said it was an accident! lol

It was an accident!!! I changed a memory card in my phone and suddenly the first chapter of the Philosopher’s Stone audiobook was my ringtone. I told a bunch of people who wanted to call me just to hear it!

7. adelarocha

I remember watching this video and thinking I would write a blog post and I never did. Thanks for reminding me πŸ˜‰ I love your picks!

8. What Val Loves

I think I might actually steal this idea from you! Btw I just read some of your posts and I’m really happy I found your blog it’s amazing! xx

9. Caroline is resourceful

When I was in primary school we learnt about the first sentence of Charlotte’s Web. I still remember what it was, though I haven’t read it since, – “Where is Papa going with that axe?”

Mr Williams was teaching us that the writer wrote the first sentence like that deliberately to hook the reader in. I was gobsmacked. I don’t think I’d ever realised until that moment that a writer might have choices about a story. I think I thought they went around catching them like the BFG catches dreams.

Yeah, I think I read somewhere that the first sentence in a book was the most important. Though that doesn’t always mean the first sentence is good. It was weird, I looked at a bunch of books I really liked and some didn’t have good opening sentences.

Also, I now want to go watch The BFG! Loved that movie as a kid.

I love that quote. Also the one where McGonagall goes “there will be books written about Harryβ€”every child in our world will know his name!”. Because it actually happened.