Characters I Want To Check In With

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. Every week they post a new top ten list and invite everyone to share their answers. This week we are looking at my top ten characters I want to check in with. I have taken this to mean, what books have I read where I want to know what happened after the end. Also:

* THIS POST CONTAINS SPOILERS *

Characters I Want To Check In With | bluchickenninja.com

* SERIOUSLY, SPOILERS AHEAD *

1. Harry Potter series by JK Rowling. Like every other Harry Potter nerd I want to know what happens to the characters. I know you get a little bit of what happens in the epilogue but I want to know more. I want to know if Harry and Malfoy become friends. I want to know if Hermione frees the house elves. I want to know how George copes after Fred’s death. I know JK Rowling is slowly telling us these things on Pottermore but dammit, I need to know everything.

2. The Martian by Andy Weir. All I want to know is if they got back to earth okay. Maybe something happened on the way back. Maybe the shuttle was destroyed on re-entry to the Earth’s atmosphere. Couldn’t the author have just written an epilogue and told us. It didn’t even need to be that, I would be happy with one sentence: “They all made it back to Earth and lived happily ever after“. Is that too much to ask?!?!?!?!

3.Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer. I’ve always wondered what would happen to Artemis after the series ends. I mean he may be a genius but you can’t really top helping a bunch of elves save the planet. It would be interesting to see if he finally decides to settle down and have a normal life.

4. Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. Cloud Atlas is a really interesting one. It is a set of 6 stories about 6 different people. We learn that every person affects the next person’s life and we see the actions each character takes that affects the next’s life. While we know some of what happens to them after it would still be nice to know more.

5. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. Okay, so Ready Player One ends with a kid being given lots of money and the control of a MMORPG that every single person on the planet uses. And I am just supposed to think that everything goes well. A kid shouldn’t be given that much control.

6. The Killing Moon by NK Jemisin. I have to admit I am still upset that Gatherer Ehiruย dies at the end. Why did he have to die!?!?!?!?! I need to know how Nijiri copes after. Actually no, you know what I don’t want another sequel, I want to know more about Ehiru. Dammit I want a prequel about Gatherer Ehiru.

7. Abhorsen by Garth Nix. You want to know something funny, Garth Nix said a long long time ago that he would write a sequel to Abhorsen. And I waited 10 years for it, and do you know what he did?!?!?!?! He didn’t write a sequel to Abhorsen. He wrote a prequel, and do you know what makes it even worse, the prequel wasn’t even that good. I JUST WANT MY SEQUEL.

8. The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman. The Amber Spyglass was the first book I ever remember reading where I was genuinely distraught over the ending. I read it over 10 years ago and I still remember finishing the book and refusing to believe it was over because it couldn’t end were it did.

9. The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien. I looked at the Hobbit and thought “hey wouldn’t it be nice to know what happens after“. It took an embarrassingly long time to remember that I do know what happens after. But still it would be interesting to know what happens between The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Knowing JRR Tolkien a book about this already exists.

10.ย The Book of Strange New Things by Michel Faber. This book is just crying out for a sequel. I mean what if he gets back to earth just to find himself in the middle of the apocalypse. What if the company can’t send shuttles to bring anyone back so you just have a small group of humans stuck on a planet in the middle of nowhere. I need to know what happens next and Michel Faberย has said that The Book of Strange New Things will be his last sodding book.

35 Responses to “Characters I Want To Check In With”

1. Holly

I think everyone wants to know about the Harry Potter characters. If, like me, they saved you in your teenage years they seem like old friends. I would like nothing better than a cup of tea with Neville to learn about plants and then have a craft day with Luna…is that too weird?
    The worst one for me is not knowing what happens to Cath and Levi in Rainbow Rowell’s Fangirl. I daydream about that on the train…

I’m not that bothered about Fangirl. I really enjoyed it but ehh, don’t really care what happens to them after.

I think everyone wants to know more about Harry Potter!

2. Florida Minimalist

You are a serious reader!! So awesome. Do you ever read Distopia, Utopia, end of the world type books (that don’t involved teenagers saving the world)? I’m really into that right now, if so any suggestions? Thanks!

Thanks. Okay here are some:

The Girl With All The Gifts by M. R. Carey
      The Book of Strange New Things by Michel Faber
      Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel (apparently its good but I haven’t read it yet)
      The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon.
      World War Z by Max Brooks
      I Am Legend by Richard Matheson (a classic!)
      The Forever Watch by David Ramirez

I can’t think of any more. Hope you find something you like!

3. Literati

Hi Emma, interesting choice there. I never could get into Artemis Fowl, although my son read all of them and was enthusiastic about them. Maybe, in my next life, when I have time, I’ll have another go at them. I’d be hard pressed to answer the topic, usually, I read the complete series if there is one, and if I’m lucky, the ending is satisfying. Currently, I’m waiting to know what will happen to Amanda and Abe (Annum Guard series by Meredith McCardle), and how the story about Kate, Michael, and Emma (The Books of Beginning series by John Stephens) goes on. However, I’ve vowed not to start reading any new book series any more in the future. ๐Ÿ™‚

I have to admit I started reading Artemis Fowl when I was 10 or 11. Its one of those books I loved as a kid. I suppose I’m probably a bit too old for it now!

I’ve stopped reading series unless it is finished. Especially Game of Thrones, no point in me reading the next 3 books if it will never be done.

• Literati

I stopped reading Game of Thrones after the first three volumes. There was just violence and then some more violence for the sake of violence. I think that is boring. ๐Ÿ™‚

Yeah, I think I gave up around then too! But mostly because I want to know the series will definitely be finished before I read any more.

Yeah it is pretty violent. I’m not so bothered about that in the book but there are definitely parts of the TV show I can’t watch!

4. Charlie

Hmm, interesting. Do I really want to invest my time in reading the rest of Nix’s books because it doesn’t end satisfactorily?!?

Yes, definitely read his books. The Old Kingdom series is one of my favourite series ever, I’ve been reading those 3 books since I was a kid. Its not surprising that it didn’t live up to my expectations. I have to say, even though I wasn’t satisfied with it, I love how it ties in to the series.

5. ghostmmnc

I know what you mean, when you get to the end of a really good book/story, and it just needs more…or rather, I need more of it to read. This is probably why I write my fan fiction story, so I could continue it. Some characters just become a part of you and you feel you know them, and want to see how their life plays out. Anyway, I like your book reviews, mainly because you just say what you think. ๐Ÿ™‚

6. benjii1993

Great post! Love Harry Potter and I do agree with you! I heard some rumors about a new movie, its about the Gryffindor, Slytherin, Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw, how they made the house and everything. But thats only a rumor… It would have been awesome!

I haven’t heard about that. I know that Fantastic Beasts is being made into a movie. It won’t have any of the Harry Potter characters in it but it is set in the Harry Potter universe.

7. moonike

I’m just in the process of re-reading Harry Potter series! ๐Ÿ˜€ (just the other day calculated which Harry’s school-year would have been my 1st year at Hogwarts if that had happened or if I was a character in the series – ultra-nerdiness, I guess, and sorry, had to get this out there :D).
    I gladly read on the background stuff that Pottermore offers and I remember liking those photos of D.Radcliffe and R.Grint portraying Harry and Ron as adult aurors, these were really cool. But I’ll admit, that there are some things about canon-future of the characters that I’m not very keen on..

Out of your list and those I’ve read, I remember Pullman’s His Dark Materials series as such, that I really, really wanted to know what happens to them, at least with Will and Lyra and secretly hoping somehow one day they would be able to meet again.

And well, I first read what happened after and the after-after (i.e LOTR indexes), and then the Hobbit.

And agree with you on Cloudatlas (at least regarding the characters that.. didn’t die)

Ahhh I need to go read the Harry Potter series again. I’ve been meaning to but I’m going through a little Brandon Sanderson phase right now.

I know I started reading HP in 1998, my mum bought me the first two books because she had heard they were good. I remember turning 11 and being disappointed that I didn’t get a letter from Hogwarts. I’m still disappointed about that tbh.

Yeah, The Amber Spyglass was the first book I remember reading where I really really wanted to know what happened to them after the book ended. I really need to go read that again, I recently read the first two books.

I think I’ve read part of the LOTR appendices, not all of it. I just remember being sad at the bit where Aragorn dies!

8. moonike

I was about 15, when I read my first HP book (was the prisoner of azkaban btw as I started reading backwards for some reason), but I can imagine the disappointment of all those kids who started reading the series before their 11th bday. But as they say.. we can perhaps all hope for Gandalf to take us to an adventure, when we’re 50 ๐Ÿ™‚ (and maybe meanwhile go on some adventures on our own!)

9. Dagny

I’m just now reading the first Harry Potter book! It’s my Teaser Tuesdays this week at http://wp.me/pZnGI-ma So sorry, Emma, that you didn’t receive that letter from Hogwarts – think how different your life would be! ๐Ÿ™‚

I know what you mean about Bilbo. I guess, having had a big adventure, he just led a peaceful life all those years.

omg this is so exciting. Is this your first time reading the Harry Potter series? Have you watched the movies? Do you know whats going to happen? You will have to tell me what you think!

• Dagny

No, I’ve not seen the movies either and am totally clueless, so I’ll get to see it play out.

omg thats so exciting. You have no idea how much I wish I could wipe my memory and read Harry Potter again for the first time.

10. totallyunique17

Yep, if there’s anything you can be sure of with Tolkien, he was damn thorough! I have the LotR’s in one volume and I tend to leave Sam at Bagend with his wife and daughter and continue reading on through the appendixes. I mean, you can’t just leave them all like that! But the saddest bit is Aragon’s death and Arwen’s sorrow, all alone since all her family had sailed from Middle earth long before. Wow, that got depressing fast!