DAY THREE

DAY THREE | bluchickenninja.com

I’ve had problems with my weight for pretty much as long as I can remember. Finally in 2011 I decided that I really had to do something about it. It took me 3 years but I managed to loose 25lbs, you might think thats a long time, because yes it is. But I managed to loose all that weight while also growing a considerably sized cyst. When I had that cyst removed I lost 50lbs, this was in the space of about 2 weeks. As a way to loose weight it worked brilliantly. However I ended up putting all that weight back on again.

Now I’m back at basically where I started and I’m finding it so much more difficult to loose anything. Before I had that operation I was really quite active. I would walk a mile and a half to work, work on my feet for 8 hours then walk back home again. All I had to do was eat less fast food and I lost weight. Now I pretty much can’t exercise. I walk every day but for nowhere near as long as I once could. And this now means I have to loose weight entirely by watching what I eat.

This is actually really difficult. But I think I’ve finally cracked it. I’ve now worked out how much I can eat so I will loose weight and also eat enough that I’m not hungry all the time. I should probably also say that I have not cut anything out of my diet, I just eat less of it. But its working. For the last 2 months I have been steadily loosing 1 pound a week. I just wish I was able to do something to make it go faster.

61 Responses to “DAY THREE”

1. Florida Minimalist

Glad to see you are getting back on track! Cutting certain things like fast food, soda and white breads will help you and your overall health. Maybe just cut out one until you no longer have the cravings for it, then start another? I’ve been trying to stick to a clean eating diet as much as possible. Losing weight is 20% exercise, 80% diet. Don’t fret too much about the physical, just do what you can.

Yup! First thing I did was cut out fast food and fizzy drinks. I really only eat those when I go out now (which isn’t often) and to be honest I’ve been finding that fast food doesn’t actually taste that great, I would rather eat proper food.

I should probably work on my fruit pastille addiction. That can’t be good….

Thanks for the advice!

2. Billy

I feel you. My Hypermobility syndrome manifested just as I was finally appreciating running as a means to lose some of the extra weight. Now I’m in the conundrum of having to lose weight in order for my hypermobile limbs and feet to hurt less, as well as for all your usual reasons, but can’t really exercise because of the hypermobility syndrome. It’s dumb really, so me too, I am trying with the food to just be less excessive. Good luck anyway, it’s a tough road. I try not to obsess about it and then occasionally it strikes me. I too wish there was a faster way!

Yes! I know how you feel, just before I got sick I started running. I was really enjoying it as well. Now because of the CFS I can barely run 100 meters. I would love to be able to do more.

I know what you mean about obsessing over food. I found that I would be bored during the day and the only interesting point would be meals. This meant that I would be constantly thinking about what I was going to eat next. Finding something to spend my time on (blogging) really helped.

3. legreene515

I’m with you. I’ve lost 46 lbs over the last three years. I also had a cyst (a hemorrhagic ovarian cyst, I didn’t know it was there until it ruptured). I haven’t had much of an appetite recently. I’m a firm believer in eat what you want, just less of it! Good for you!

4. lola gayle

My biggest jump in weight loss came from cutting out sodas entirely…sweetened AND diet. Lost about 60 pounds in roughly 3 years. Gained about 8-10 pounds back lately, but I chalk that up to oncoming menopause and my penchant for not-so-light beer LOL Good luck on your journey – I’m rooting for you! And really, as long as you do your best to remain healthy, that’s all we can ask for, right?

I was going to say it had been ages since I last had anything fizzy, but thats a lie! I had diet coke the other day. One of the first things I did was cut out all fizzy juice, I only have it when I eat out not (which is not very often). To be honest the only difference I noticed was how much better my teeth were.

Thanks šŸ™‚ Fortunately alcohol makes me sick so I don’t need to cut back on that!

omg yes, I don’t know what sort of cheese we’ve been buying recently but its so good. And I don’t normally eat cheese! On its own at least….

• lola gayle

Mmmmm cheese. Getting ready to make my yummy garlic cheesy bread to go with dinner. More cheese than bread really LOL

5. cbecker53

Good for you. And I think weight taken off more slowly stays off longer than weight lost quickly. Good luck. Take care.

6. Jodi

I hear ya sweetie – I struggle the same myself. Proud of you for being so brave to share so we all can support and be encouraged by you too! šŸ™‚

7. Dan Antion

Slow and steady is better over the long term. Your behavior becomes a sustainable pattern and you are more likely to keep the weight off.

8. Michelle

It sounds like you’re doing it the smart way, but I know what you mean … Faster would be so much better for our mental health (IMO).

9. Peter Klopp

You are doing the right thing. I am glad that you are not taking of the commercial diet plans. Also as your operation has shown, it is good to have a little reserve. My wife had an operation in 2006. She was all skin and bones when she came out of the hospital. She grants herself a little extra weight and I don’t mind. Your post is good food for thought!

10. Dagny

Did you have CSF long before the cyst and surgery?

I can’t imagine trying to lose weight without exercising. Do you like vegetables? I’m lucky that I love them – and without all the buttery sauces.

The CFS was caused by the surgery, I was diagnosed about 3 months after it. I do like vegetables. Except not peppers. Peppers need to go die.

• Dagny

How horrible! What a terrible aftermath of the surgery.

Good you like veggies. I’m with you on the peppers – except for the sweet yellow bel peppers.

11. janeygingerboy

Steadily is definitely the way to lose weight and keep it off. I have known so many people go on fad diets and then put it all back on again, which is soul destroying. Good luck with your weight loss, it seems you have found a way to do it which suits you : ))

12. Aimer Boyz

Love the picture. Made me smile mostly because I could never take a picture of my scale. Wouldn’t even think of it. For an inanimate object, the scale carries way too much WEIGHT (see that?) in my life.
    If you’ve found a system that works for you, stick with it and good luck šŸ™‚

Yeah I have to admit part of the reason I posted it was because that photo scared me. Its just a number. I will not be bested by a photo. Thanks šŸ™‚

13. Elissaveta

I’m with you and I shall be doing this with you because, well, I have been trying to lose weight for as long as I remember too and there is time when trying has to become succeeding! Keep it up!!! šŸ™‚

14. stephieopolis

I can completely relate. I have struggled with my weight all my life as well. The only time I seem to lose a considerable amount of weight is when I’m in a deep state of depression and void of any other emotion that might typically drive me to eat. Anger, eat. Happy, eat. Sad, eat. Anxious, eat. You get the idea. About five years ago, I hired a personal trainer and figured out my own calorie consumption issues and lost a 25lbs in about 6 months, but then I became ill and gained it all back. Since then I just can’t seem to ever keep upo the stamina to do the workouts I learned from the trainer and if I do, my body curses me for the next week following a workout. It’s completely frustrating, but I continue to plug away at just being healthier, not skinnier.
    Best wishes on your journey.

15. koehlerjoni

Keep up the good fight. It’s not easy, but you are going about it in a sensible way that you will be able to sustain over the long haul. I’m lifting my water glass to your good health and the continued strengthening of your spirit.

16. agustinbalbi

Keep kicking ass !
    keep around my blog for time to time, my next post on Scallops ceviche will help and it will be fun and tasty šŸ˜‰ of course with seafood !

17. gruundehn

Part of your problem is that when you lose something you want to get it back. Change your mindset and get rid of the weight (throw it in the trash perhaps) not lose it.

Simple psychology that was taught to me years ago.

18. Content Catnip

Hi there lovely, sounds like you’ve found the winning combo. I wish I could say the same I too struggle with my weight. If you do have any meal planning suggestions, would help me. I am my own worst enemy though my weakness is cheese and Indian food. Other than that I eat pretty healthy mostly, best of luck with your journey

I would love to give you advice but I really don’t have much. I try to stay under 1800 calories every day and I’ve found home cooked meals are better because they are normally lower in calories. Also they taste better imo.

• Content Catnip

I think i need to try that 1800 calories, I dont count them so maybe that’s my problem. I like home cooked meals better too, you can add more flavour but not necessarily more fat

One thing I would recommend is signing up to myfitnesspal. It can work out your TDEE which is basically how many calories you burn in a 24 hour period. Yours might be different, but I know mine is around 1800. But so long as you eat under than many calories every day you should loose weight. Myfitnesspal is also good for tracking your weight and how many calories you’ve eaten ever day.

• Content Catnip

I think I have this app on my ph actually but I;ve been slack and I haven’t been entering in the details of what I eat…have to get on it and not slack off. Thanks for that though xx

19. Clare Hale

Well done. It is tougher than it seems to be so disciplined with food but your body will really thank you for it. Keep up the good work x