Books I Will Probably Never Finish

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. Every week they post a new top ten list and invite everyone to share their answers. This week we are looking at my top ten 10 books I would never read however as I will pretty much read anything here are 10 books I will (probably) never finish.

Books I Will Probably Never Finish | bluchickenninja.com

1. The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton. Its so long. Its like ridiculously long. Like one day in this book takes up at least 400 pages. I like long books but this was still too much. Also it was boring.

2. To Rise Again At A Decent Hour by by Joshua Ferris. It was about social media and it still managed to be really really really really really boring.

3. Cell by Stephen King. So I read somewhere that this was supposed to be Stephen Kings version of a zombie book and I was enjoying it right up till the part where a man bites a dog’s ear off.

4. The Shining by Stephen King. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope.

5. Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. I really don’t understand why I don’t like Neil Gaimans books. There was nothing wrong with this other than it wasn’t interesting enough for me.

6. By Light Alone by Adam Roberts. This started out with a really interesting premise but again it just wasn’t interesting enough.

7. A Monster Calls. Yup! This was boring too.

8. An Abundance of Katherines by John Green. It felt like Paper Towns with a few things changed also I really didn’t care about any of the characters.

9. Looking for Alaska by John Green. The problem with this book is there is so much hype around it. It really wasn’t as great as everyone makes it out to be.

10. Hollow City by Ransom Riggs. Okay so I haven’t actually started reading this. Basically Miss Peregrin’s Home for Peculiar Children sucked so much that I have no intention to readย the sequel.

79 Responses to “Books I Will Probably Never Finish”

1. Aimer Boyz

Don’t know any of these books but your comments made me laugh. Thanks, I’ll steer clear of these unless I’m looking to fall asleep ๐Ÿ™‚

2. curiousdaisies

i’m with you on the john green books :/ but i disagree on neil gaiman heh. happy reading!

3. Dagny

I read The Shining way back when. That’s one scary book! Especially the part in the topiary.

4. Florida Minimalist

Awe, I liked Miss Peregrinโ€™s Home for Peculiar Children and Hollow City was better.

5. Matt Bluemink

I felt the same about Neverwhere. The premise could have been interesting if the main character wasn’t so dull.

6. Anonymous

I’m still in on page 300 something in The Luminaries, this since may last year. I don’t know if I’m going to be able to finish it

• datatater

Oh no, 300?!?! I’m only on page 50-something and already bored to tears, and ready to throw it against a wall! Who decides these things are ‘good’?
        That one is definitely on my ‘will never finish’ list.

I just had a look and it won the Man Booker in 2013. Someone thought it was that good?!?!?! A Tale For The Time Being was nominated that same year and that book is fantastic.

• datatater

Amazing what people can get away with! I’ll check out the Ozeki soon; I’ve never read her, but I hear a lot of good things.

7. stuffthatneedssaying

For me, it’s anything by Yann Martel. I hated Life of Pi so much, and still dared to start Beatrice and Virgil, only to find it had the same elements I hated. So I threw all his books in my donation boxes the other day.

8. mswalsh

Neverwhere is the only Neil Gaiman book I’ve ever read and that was because I’d watched the series in my youth.
    I think it’s possibly the hype and expectation of an author can sometimes leave you feeling a bit disappointed.

There is a huge amount of hype around Neil Gamian’s books and I definitely think that is part of the reason why I’m not impressed with them.

• Mere

You know, I love most of his work, but even I agree the hype can be a turn off (for any author/book really). Some people are so caught up in the idea of how awesome a writer is supposed to be that they forget to buy/read books based on personal interests. Really that’s all that matters. I may love Gaiman, but I know plenty of people who don’t (and I in turn don’t like some of their favorite authors). To each her own!

Yup! Everyone is different. I really try to not get into all the hype around a book. Thats the problem I have with John Green. Another one was The Casual Vacancy. I can’t have been the only person that got it because JK Rowling. I think many people ended up disappointed because they grew up with Harry Potter and her new book was nothing like what they were used to.

9. aetherhouse

I am not a huge John Green fan, either. I found The Fault In Our Stars to be really overrated. I just hated the characters so much. However, I do commend him for having a deft, effortless writing style (strangely hard to come by these days) and for presenting cancer in one of the most visceral ways I’ve ever seen.

10. Alice

I am curious about #10 though. I saw the pictures in the first book and they reminded me of theater acts from back then. You didn’t like it? Why? I may have missed that book review.

I can’t remember if I’ve done a review of Miss Peregrin’s. Don’t think I have.

I just found it really boring, it was a typical YA. And I didn’t understand the main characters decision at the end. I couldn’t get how he was totally okay with leaving his family without thinking about it. Also the creepy photos did nothing for me.

11. rgemom

Ahhhh….giving oneself permission to not finish a book you’ve started, and then being brave enough to share. Love it! My list includes Anna Karenina (I’ve tried twice!), anything by Chelsea Handler, The Goldfinch (I know I’m supposed to like it, but good golly), and Moby Dick.

• rgemom

I DETESTED the main character, and pretty much every other character. Great idea for a story, horrible execution. I think the author got lost somehow. I read about 70% of it, and decided I just couldn’t take it anymore.

Interesting. Think I will still give it a try, mostly because it will annoy the heck out of me knowing there is a book on my shelf that I didn’t at least try to read!

12. koehlerjoni

I disagree about Ransom Riggs, but the rest of your picks are pretty much on the money. I cannot enjoy Neil Gaiman. I’ll also probably never read an entire Cormac McCarthy novel, and I also quit on The Time Traveler’s Wife. Too weird for me.

I’ve never read any Cormac McCarthy. I nearly cried at the end of The Time Travelerโ€™s Wife. Which was a bit embarrassing as I was on a train at the time.

Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

13. phantomwriter143

Miss Peregrine’s sucked? Well that stinks. I just bought it a couple weeks ago. Le sigh. I’ll still take a crack at it, though. I’ve also never read any Neil Gaiman, and just recently bought one of his books to try.

Yeah read it anyway. Just because I didn’t like it doesn’t mean you won’t like it. Though I have to say it started out really good. It was just the end I didn’t like.

• phantomwriter143

If the end stinks, I may not be able to finish. I’m one of those people that will put a book down and not finish if it loses appeal. I just can’t seem to force myself to finish. Unless it’s a requirement for something. There are just too many other good books out there for me to waste time reading something that stinks, you know?

14. Laarni

Neil Gaiman is one of my favorite authors but I haven’t read any of his adult books. Was Neverwhere really that boring?

15. shazzameena

I am terrible at giving up on a book! I have read several books to the bitter end and then wondered why I gave up precious moments of my life!! I do find it helpful to adopt the ’50 page’ rule: if it hasn’t grabbed you by page 50, then give up. But there have still been many that I’ve kept slogging on with, against my better judgement. ‘The Light Between Two Oceans’ is one that springs to mind!! And yet I know many who loved that book!

Yes! I hate giving up on a book. Its only really this year that I’ve started giving up on books I’m really not enjoying. Your 50 page rule is a good idea but I can’t help but think of Revival by Stephen King. The entire book was really boring but the final 10 pages were amazing. Like really amazing. Its just deciding if those final 10 pages are worth reading the other 300.

I thought The Light Between Two Oceans was okay. Not brilliant.

16. The Chaos Realm

Any time an animal gets hurt or killed, I have a hard time continuing the book… *wry laugh* I still have this vivid memory of this horrifying scene from a Poul Anderson book I read back when I was ten or eleven that I can’t shake. LOL

Yeah that really gets me. I can’t remember the name of it but there is a website that will tell you if an animal gets hurt/ killed in books and movies.

17. Dean

I agree with you on An Abundance of Katerines, it was a re-hash of Paper Towns (which I loved) and didn’t bother to finish it. I *loved* Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, but at the same time it was the first book of his that I read. I finished Cell by King, and was kind of reading it for the sake of reading it, and at the same time looking for some big climactic ending, which I didn’t get–quite the opposite really! The Shining and Looking for Alaska are on my TBR list but I don’t think I will read Looking for Alaska though.

Its funny because An Abundance of Katherines was published about 5 years before Paper Towns. Still I prefer Paper Towns. Looking for Alaska was very meh.

18. Rocket Room 9

I can’t finish anything by DH Lawrence. Sons and Lovers was like wading through treacle. Funnily enough, Neverwhere is the only Gaiman book I’ve managed to finish and I did really enjoy it

19. Kaine Andrews

Cell does get pretty gruesome at points, but I still think it’s worth slogging through; at least it has the benefit of being short. For King, anyway. And while I can understand not digging into The Shining for fear of the mental state it might induce, I’d still say give it a shot. It really is a great story, and about a lot more than just a spooky old hotel and what lives (or doesn’t… ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) there. The subtexts about abusive relationships and addiction are the main draw there. For me, anyway. XD

I would totally try and read The Shining if my nightmare problem was not so bad. I’ve literally had nightmares about Harry Potter! I do vaguely know what its about. Something about a hotel and a maze.

I might give Cell another go. I also have a copy of Lisey’s Story. Really need to read that too!

• Kaine Andrews

Lisey takes a lot of heat for being one of King’s weaker works and being “boring,” though I personally enjoy it a great deal. It’s a bit of a slog, but worth the journey, I thought. Though if you have issues with graphic violence or nightmare-inspiring moments, you might want to skip a few pages when the can opener comes out. You’ll understand when you get there, XD

20. macyavenue

I stopped reading Cell when I got to the part where a man bites a dog’s ear off! Haha. After that I decided to not read anything Stephen King because I am a scaredy-cat. Although I am currently reading his memoir On Writing–nothing scary so far! Ha!

Yup! The short story that The Shawshank Redemption was based on sounds like it won’t be scary too. However its part of a short story collection and I’m having problems getting my hands on a copy so I can’t confirm that.

21. chariswoodward

The Luminaries was SUCH A BATTLE for me. It took months of determination, sweat, tears, and caffeine. I understand your reluctance!

Its the sort of book I do really want to try and finish. But its so long. I might need to try and just read a page a day or something like that.

22. listentothebabe

I love zombies so I read the Cell in one night. You’re right, it’s not worth finishing it. And that’s coming from a King fan…

23. Dennis the Vizsla

hello blue chicken ninja its dennis the vizsla dog hay dada is rite their with yoo on that miss peregrins buk!!! and wile he did reed that cell buk he sez he liked it better wen it wuz kalld snow crash!!! ha ha ok bye

24. listentothebabe

The girl with all the gifts was awesome. So what about Nordic noir? You know anything about Lars Kepler? I liked Jo Nesbo and Steig Larsson. But struggled with Lindqvist. Though I really liked Let the right one in.

Have to admit, I really haven’t read anything by those authors. I have The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo somewhere but haven’t felt like reading it.