Books I Would Love To See As Movies

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. Every week they post a new top ten list and invite everyone to share their answers. This week we are looking at my top ten books I would love to see as movies.

Books I Would Love To See As Movies | bluchickenninja.com

1. Northern Lights by Philip Pullman. Okay I realise that an adaption of Northern Lights has already been made. But that movie was truly terrible and I recently re-read Northern Lights and couldn’t stop thinking about what a brilliant movie it could be.

2. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. This book is a really fun adventure novel. It could be a really great movie and apparently an adaptation is in the works (being directed by Steven Spielberg). The only problem with this book is it references so many things that copyright could be an issue.

3. The Martian by Andy Weir. There is an adaption of this book currently being made and ohmygod they need to hurry up and finish that movie. It had better be good though because I will hurt someone if it isn’t.

4. Sabriel by Garth Nix. The thing I loved about Sabriel is that it’s a really original fantasy. No dragons or elves or dwarves here. Apparently there are plans for a movie adaption, Garth Nix has written the screenplay, but nothing definite yet.

5. Duma Key by Stephen King. I love this book and it could be such a good movie. Unfortunately no plans from what I can see.

6. Red Rising by Pierce Brown. This could be a really good movie, it’s very similar to Ender’s Game and The Hunger Games. So hopefully with the success of Hunger Games this will be made into a movie. Although Pierce Brown has to finish the series first. That would help (Universal bought the rights in 2014 so we may see a movie adaption).

7. Room by Emma Donoghue. This was a really creepy book, but I think it could be a really good horror/ thriller type movie. Edit: So apparently it is being made into a movie and will be released at the end of 2015.

8. The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon. Apparently there is an adaption of this already in the works, by Andy Serkis’ production company. I think it’s going to be really interesting. But I can’t help but feel that this adaption is coming a little early, what with this being a 7 book series.

9. The Mountain Can Wait by Sarah Leipciger. This is a very visual book taking place in the Canadian Rockies, and I think it could be a really good movie adaption and would show off the rural parts of Canada really well.

10. The Hundred Year Old Man by Jonas Jonasson. This was a really fun adventure novel, its the sort of book that has to be made into a movie.

Support Me On Patreon

65 Responses to “Books I Would Love To See As Movies”

1. Hilari

Just finished reading Ready Player One and thought, OMG, this is a movie script! Glad to hear Spielberg already got the jump on it!

Off to look at the other books here!

2. Amy

I could not watch a film of Room. Room is one of the only books that genuinely creeped me out when I was reading it. Glad we have the same opinion of Northern Lights and it’s awful adaptation though!

Oh yeah, it creeped me out too, but I think it would work really well as a movie. Though part of the reason it was so creepy was because the kid narrates it. It will be interesting to see how they do that.

3. Cátia

That’s a great list… I wanto to see Red Rising and The Bone Season as movies. Especially The Bone Season. I don’t know if you know this but The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared is already a movie. The only problem is that it is a swedish movie and unfortunally I don’t understand swedish =)

4. staceyaltamirano

Several of my 8th graders have been reading The Bone Season and have recommended it to me. Now I think I’m convinced!
    I’ve enjoyed reading your blog for a while, I’m just sorry it took me so long to comment!
    staceyaltamirano.com

Thanks 🙂 I liked The Bone Season but I think the sequel The Mime Order was even better. It should be an interesting movie.

5. Florida Minimalist

I literally JUST put down “The Madman’s Daughter” and oh man it was great! I really enjoyed it and was thinking throughout the book what an awesome movie it could be.

• Florida Minimalist

Yes! It’s very good. Not a dull moment really, I hope to find more similar to this one.

• Florida Minimalist

Update!! Just found through Goodreads.com the second and third books to this Trilogy. I have them both on hold at the library for pick up. If you happen to read the first and like it, I’ll let you know what I think of the others 🙂

• Florida Minimalist

I didn’t even realize there was a movie out about it, although I don’t think it’s very much like the book. The book is more about the daughter’s coming to the island.

6. Kat

Ah, The Martian. I’ve not read the book yet, but I saw some stills of the film, and—woah, as if I couldn’t fall in love with Sebastian Stan and Matt Damon more.

7. aetherhouse

I’ve always been jonesing for Garth Nix’s The Seventh Tower to be made into a movie or miniseries. I know his heart wasn’t in that book series (it was basically just financed by LucasBooks) but it’s such an imaginative world! It would make an epic film.

• aetherhouse

Now that you’re grown, perhaps not – it’s a series meant for middle grade. But I dunno, it’s still well-written. It’s still Nix! I think an adult could enjoy it. They’re each very short reads too.

8. hallenterprises132

The movie will never live up to your personal imagination. I generally hate movies based on books I have read. My imagination is much fuller than what is available on screen.
    Jeanette Hall

I dunno, the movies are just someone else’s vision of the same book. Just because they are different to what I imagined doesn’t mean they are bad.

9. fivezero

I have to add some of these to my reading list! I have personally always wanted to see The Alienist as a movie, but it’s never materialized.

10. Yvane

I have only read Room. However, Ready Player One sounds interesting.

11. Run Wright

Room is on my list too. So excited to hear there’s a movie version in the works! It’s so cool that you knew that.

12. mithrril

I need to read Red Rising! I got an ARC of it years ago at a convention and still haven’t gotten around to it yet. I hear such good things about it. I also have The Martian on my Kindle waiting to be read.

Yes, Red Rising is great, though pretty similar to The Hunger Games. The sequel Golden Son is really good too, think Star Trek with roman gods.

13. sb2711

Nice one! 🙂 I have revamped my old blog though and writing on books as well. Check it out if you free and feel free to suggest any changes. Not sending the link in here. The domain is – scriblingowlet.wordpress.com

14. laura

I was going to say that the northern lights was a movie & then I read your post… you are right, it is not a great adaptation and lacked massive punch compared to the novel. Great list by the way! Room would be intriguing.

It could have been much better. So disappointing as it meant the rest of the series was never made into a movie. I would love to see a film adaption of The Amber Spyglass.

15. Dennis the Vizsla

hello bluchickenninja its dennis the vizsla dog oh hay yes my dada agrees eksept for the performanse of the mayn karakter aktress he hated that golden compass moovee!!! he sed it wuz a hatchet job on the buk!!! oddly enuf the peepul he saw it with nun of hoom had red the buk all seemd to think it was fine go figger!!! ok bye