Best Books I’ve Read So Far In 2015

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. Every week they post a new top ten list and invite everyone to share their answers. This week we are looking at my top ten books I’ve read so far in 2015.

Best Books I've Read So Far In 2015 | bluchickenninja.com

1. The Humans by Matt Haig. This was the story of an alien coming to earth, the entire thing was the alien being confused by the strange things we humans do. Like wear clothes and have pets. It was really great, it really makes you think about life on earth.

2. My Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga. I’ve read a number of books about mental illness and depression and this was the first one I found where I could really relate to the characters. Jasmine Warga did a really great job of portraying depression in a real way.

3. The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. I really enjoyed this book, it’s a good solid fantasy novel. I know some people have commented on the length and while yes it is very long, the story moves on very quickly and there really wasn’t any extraneous plot in there.

4. Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld. I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed this. Half of this book is a mildly interesting YA novel and the other half is the story of the author spending a year in New York writing the novel. If you want a behind the scenes look at the publishing world this is the book for you.

5. Golden Son by Pierce Brown. I actually enjoyed this more than Red Rising. I think the best way I could describe it is Star Trek with Roman gods. Though admittedly very little of the story actually takes place in space.

6. The Art of Asking by Amanda Palmer. This book was based on Amanda Palmer’s very famous TED talk where she showed how it’s okay to ask for help if you need it. I was really surprised by how it was also partly an autobiography. Though I should have expected that. I did also quite like the fact that you don’t need to be a fan of her music to enjoy this book. In fact if you have a blog or any sort of job where your income comes from fans I would definitely recommend you give this book a read.

7. A Tale For The Time Being by Ruth Ozeki. This was really fantastic. Its partly the diary of a young Japanese girl and it’s partly about a Canadian author who finds the diary washed up on a beach.

8. The Book of Strange New Things by Michel Faber. This is one of the best science-fiction books I’ve read this year. I love how it mixes science and religion together. If you love sci-fi this is a must read.

9. The Three by Sarah Lotz. This was really interesting, its a thriller book but the entire story is told like it’s a non-fiction book. Its told through interviews and transcripts and recorded messages. It was really great. And I also didn’t find it at all scary which was good considering its supposed to be a horror novel.

10. The Martian by Andy Weir. It’s like Castaway but on Mars. With added potatoes. Its basically this:

Have you entered my Station Eleven giveaway?
Submissions must be in by tomorrow (Wednesday) at 5pm GMT.

31 Responses to “Best Books I’ve Read So Far In 2015”

1. Florida Life Minimalist

Thanks! I just got a call from the library to pick up a book on hold, “The Girl On The Train”, have you read it? It’s been a couple of MONTHS since I put it on hold, so I have high hopes considering how many numbers were in front of me. The longest I’ve ever waited for a book. Now I have a few more from your list to place new holds 🙂

2. anotherwisemonkey

This is great. I’m gonna post my own list so please check it out. I don’t read as much as you, so it won’t extend to ten. Any tips on how I can make more time to read?

Yeah I do have some tips, quite a lot actually. I’m in the middle of writing a post about how to read more so you could have a look at that when it goes up. The basic tl;dr is set out a certain amount of time during the day just for reading.

• anotherwisemonkey

Perfect! Please give me a nudge when it comes out and I’ll get on it. I try to make time before bed to read but somehow social media often seems to take over…

Ahh yeah that happens to me too. I fixed that by keeping my phone out of reach and hiding my laptop so I’m not temped to check emails/ facebook ect

3. koehlerjoni

I’m glad you liked the Michel Faber book. I read The Crimson Petal and The White a long time ago, and it is one of my favorite books. I’ll have to read The Book of Strange New Things after your recommendation.

The Book of Strange New Things was so good. I was sent an eARC from the publisher and decided (while halfway through) that I had to go buy a physical copy.

4. mcraeteisha

I really need to read The Way of Kings. It’s been sitting on my bookshelf staring at me dauntingly. I also was to read The Martian before it comes out. Great list! Here is my TTT

The Way of Kings was great. The only problem is Brandon Sanderson says there is like 10 books in the series and they are only being released every other year. I have Words of Radiance sitting on my shelf but I really don’t want to start it if I need to wait at least another year for the next book.

The Martian is really good. You definitely need to read that before the movie comes out.

5. mirowan09

I’ve been thinking about reading A Tale for the Time Being for a long time now. I also loved The Martian and The Book of Strange New Things.

6. TheLiteraryCounsellor

I totally forgot about The Book of Strange New Things until I read your list. It’s been on my TBR list for a while now. I’ll have to go look at it next time I’m in the bookstore. 🙂 Great list!

7. Resa

Awesome list. I’ve been so looking forward to “the book of strange new things.” If there’s one thing I hate about posts like this it’s realizing how much I have to read and how little time I have… But hopefully I’ll be inspired by your list 🙂