Last Ten Books That Came Into My Possession

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. Every week they post a new top ten list and invite everyone to share their answers. This week we are looking at the last 10 books that came into my poseession.

Last Ten Books That Came Into My Possession | bluchickenninja.com

1. Armada by Ernest Cline. Technically this should be on here twice as I bought a copy and got a copy on Netgalley. I’ve been waiting so long for this book, its good but it has some problems too.

2. The Gracekeepers by Kirsty Logan. I really don’t know much about this book, from what I’ve read its similar to The Night Circus. I’m going toΒ be totally honest, I bought it because I liked the cover.

3. Echopraxia by Peter Watts. I don’t know much about this book either. I bought it because it was in the science-fiction section of Waterstones and the cover is shiny.

4. Born With Teeth by Kate Mulgrew. So I ordered this book within 10 minutes of finding out that Kate Mulgrew had written an autobiography.

5. Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton. I have been wanting to read Michael Crichton’s books for so long so when I came across this in Tesco for Β£3 I had to have it.

6. Way Down Dark by JP Smythe. I got this from bookbridgr, I have to admit I didn’t realise it was YA when I requested it but it was surprisingly good.

7. Prisoner of Ironsea Tower by Sarah Ash. This is the second part of a fantasy trilogy, I found this and the third part in a small second hand book shop in Stirling. It looks pretty interesting.

8. Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke. This was another one I found in Tesco. I’ve been meaning to read it since its on a list of 100 geatest sci-fi and fantasy books.

9. Reasons To Stay Alive by Matt Haig. I saw thebookiemonsters talk about this book. It seems to be about depression/ anxiety. Also it was Β£4.

10. The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins. I have no idea what this book is about but apparently its good.

72 Responses to “Last Ten Books That Came Into My Possession”

1. ashleighmuses

Nice mix of books here! The Gracekeepers is a beautiful book, a little hyped but beautiful nonetheless. I also listened to a lot of it on audiobook as Kirsty herself reads it and I think that really enhanced it for me! I’m still to read Strange and Norrell, have had it sat there a while and it’s rather intimidating – but also invested in that audiobook to break up chunks of reading and I heard that it’s one of the better audiobooks out there. So I’m excited start it but not sure when! Oh, and I really want to read Reasons to Stay Alive and Jurassic Park so I look forward to hearing your thoughts on them if you get around to them before me!

Ahh yeah, I know people have been talking about The Gracekeepers, to be honest I got it because I liked the cover!

I’m not so sure about Jonathan Strange, I’m about 200 pages in right now and its a bit boring. Maybe it will get more interesting further on!

I’ve heard that Reasons to Stay Alive and Jurassic Park are both really good! I need to get around to them soon!

2. Geraint Isitt

Wow. I am so out of the loop. I’ve heard of one of these books. Not sure what that says about me.

3. Annika Perry

Have fun reading! I too love The Gracekeeper’s cover and often been nearly buying it but then not quite sold. Think I’ll get it for the summer though.

4. jessmbaum

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell changed my life. haha Jarassic Park is still on my to read list from years ago.

5. laurenpickens

I really want to read Jonathan Norrell & Mr. Strange! I don’t want to watch the series until after I’ve read the book.
    I hope it turns out to be a good read!

6. Dagny

I love most of Michael Crichton’s books. Both Jurassic Park and it’s sequel – I couldn’t put them down. Once I was so hungry, took the book to the kitchen with me and couldn’t stop long enough to actually get something to eat. I sat on the stool at the bar and read, lol.

• Dagny

I read it before the movie was even out, so didn’t really know how it would all turn out. If you’ve seen the movie, that might make a difference. My not being able to tear myself away had to do with suspense. A good read regardless.

• Dagny

There is one part, you will recognize it when you read the book that they toned down for the movie. I remember thinking of that part and saying, no way can they put that in the movie, it will frighten the young kids too much. You can ask me about it after you’ve read the book, although probably it will hit you when you read it.

7. stuffthatneedssaying

I haven’t got the slightest clue what the last 10 books I got were, but here’s a list of 10 pulled blindly from my unread books shelves:

1. 1,001 Ways to Take Initiative at Work by Bob Nelson
    2. Altar of Bones by Philip Carter
    3. World’s Fair by E.L. Doctorow
    4. Traffic by Tom Vanderbilt
    5. Teacher Man by Frank McCourt
    6. Spook Country by William Gibson
    7. Correctional Counseling & Rehabilitation by Patricia Van Voorhis, Michael Braswell & David Lester
    8. Why Intelligent People Are Overweight by Hedley Turk
    9. Prince of Stories: The Many Worlds of Neil Gaiman by Hank Wagner, Christopher Golden & Stephen R. Bissette
    10. The Keepsake by Tess Gerritsen

Aaaaand I haven’t heard of any of these books. Awesome! That Neil Gaiman book sounds interesting!

Also I couldn’t remember the last 10 books I bought too. I had to go check my amazon/ waterstones orders!

8. curiousdaisies

I want The Gracekeepers just because the book looks stunning. I’m shallow like that hehe πŸ˜€

9. fivezero

I really enjoyed Jurassic Park (but I was about 12, LOL). I am currently reading Jonathan Strange and am enjoying it a lot. Not finding it terribly slow.

10. iimpavid

As soon as you mentioned the Night Circus, I added the Gracekeepers in my TBR pile. The rest of the books seem great too. Enjoy them πŸ™‚

11. blackmutts

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell’s my all time favorite, because I love how it combines several styles I love. However, I remember cracking up through many of the footnotes, because I definitely have a similar sense of humor as that author. It’s too late for you, but they have an edition where the book is sold as three separate paperbacks in a boxed set- which works since the novel is broken into three separate books and it doesn’t feel as intimidatingly long.

• blackmutts

I’m only about halfway through the show, and while it might be as good as it could be, it really doesn’t have the things that made the book stand out to me. I’m still getting over Mr. Strange NOT being a red head after all those cracks about it in the book.

• blackmutts

Well, he may have been considered attractive otherwise, but, as all society knows, no redhead can be considered truly handsome! (It’s been over 6 years since I’ve read it, so I’m sure the paraphrase is a bit off). I also read Girl on a Train recently. I’m still not totally sure what I think of it, but it is a wickedly fast read.

Thats still hilarious! And yeah I just noticed that The Girl On The Train was quite short, thats a good thing though. I think…..

• blackmutts

Part of the reason it reads so fast is because the author manipulates you into wanting to throttle the main character- while still caring about her- so your frustration conversely makes you read it faster (at least, this is what happened for me & the other members of my family who read it)

12. Maria H.

Good list! I’ve read Girl on the Train, it was pretty good. I added Way Down Dark based on your previous review, it sounded pretty interesting!

I was actually really surprised by Way Down Dark. It was much better than I expected. Though it is the first part in a trilogy which is kind of annoying. Hope you like it!

13. Ed Howard

The Girl on the Train is a great read. I think you will like it.

14. silverbullethead

Would reading Jurassic Park be as good as the watching the movie?

I’m reading it just now and really enjoying it. Can’t really compare it to the movie though since its been years since I last watched it.

15. Jay

Hi!

Thanks for dropping by my blog! I hope you liked it. Anyways, the last book that I have read was thirteen reasons why and I recommend it to everyone. So, I really recommend it to you as well, haha.

The story is about a girl, named Hannah Baker, who commited suicide. The story is written from two perspectives. From the girl’s perspective, the one who commited suicide, and from a boy’s perspective, who is one of the reasons why she killed herself. The story is very well written. I really recommend it! http://www.thirteenreasonswhy.com for more information.

If you liked my blog, I’d love to see you back! πŸ™‚
    – Jaychi Wong

16. eileenpatterson

I haven’t read most of those but I did read Girl on the Train. Pretty good read. Didn’t want to like the heroine but learned to. I didn’t expect the ending.
    Jurassic Park sounds like a good one.

17. my messy world

…you got the girl on the train!!!!!!!!! Aaaaaaaaaaah, I’m jealous πŸ˜€ !!! I heard so much good stuff about it. It’s been smiling at me from the stores several times but I’ve decided I won’t buy it yet because I’ve got so much other books to read and I’ve only just decluttered my books… My book shelf looks nice and tidy the way it is so I shall keep working on that. But I’m jealous πŸ˜‰ *ggg*

Haha yup! I have a really bad habit of picking up books if I see them on a good deal and I saw that on a good deal so……

I actually decided I wouldn’t buy any books this month since I have so many unread. Yeah I totally failed at that!

• my messy world

I know, good deals are so bad… πŸ˜‰ Most of my books are second hand or traded or so. I hesitate with new books, specially now because of what I told you, but last time at the airport this book was down to 12 euros I think… Maybe if I manage to wait a little longer it’ll be an even better deal and then I’ll thinks – whatever πŸ˜€ !!! You’ll have to let me know when you review it πŸ˜‰

12 euros isn’t too bad, thats around Β£8? I think thats about what I paid for it too. Hardbacks can be expensive.

• my messy world

I barely buy hardbacks – not worth it, only if it’s a book from an author I totally adore πŸ˜‰ Big size British paperbacks are nearly as beautiful anyhow, so those do mostly as well πŸ™‚

Ooooooh are you talking about trade paperbacks? The ones that are the same size as a hard back. You know the best thing about getting books from publishers to review is getting trade paperbacks. I love them. They are huge. I got sent a 600 page fantasy a few months ago and its literally the size of a brick.

• my messy world

Wow, they send them to you for that? That’s amazing! I didn’t know they were called like that. These are the first publications of English books that are available here for sale, that’s why I stick with those 😊

Yup. Its quite common for advanced reader copies to be trade paperbacks. They are the same size as a hardback (which is important as the page numbers are the same for quotes) but are cheaper to make.

Publishers tend to release a hardback edition first then a mass market paperback about six months to a year after.

18. tintedbyroses

Hiya, did you get around to reading “Reasons To Stay Alive” by Matt Haig yet? If so, would you recommend it? Your blog has really made me realise how much I miss being a bookworm! x