My Bullet Journal Method

A few weeks ago I posted about my blogging notebook, I’ve recently started using my notebook as a bullet journal as well. I really don’t do any journalling but as a way of staying organised I’ve found this to be really helpful.

I post four times a week here and though the calendar helps to schedule posts I’ve found that bullet journalling is a great way of listing out all the things I need to do every day.

My Bullet Journal Method | bluchickenninja.com

I normally leave the first page of my notebooks blank so it was really easy to add in an index. Actually I don’t know why I haven’t thought of this before now, I normally use tabs or paper clips to mark important pages but this is a much easier way of finding things.

My Bullet Journal Method | bluchickenninja.com

I copied this key from the bullet journal website but I’ve found that I’ve changed what some of the icons mean. For example the exclamation mark is now for important things. Actually to be totally honest, I forgot I had this key.

My Bullet Journal Method | bluchickenninja.com

I normally print out a monthly calendar on a sheet of paper and stick it into my notebook, I can’t decide if I like this way of laying everything out instead, It might just be a case of getting used to it. Writing blog posts on the page markers really helps though. My schedule changes pretty much every week so just moving the flag is much easier than erasing everything and writing it out again. Its also a really easy way of seeing if I’ve written a post yet.

My Bullet Journal Method | bluchickenninja.com

As much as I like how my ideas page looks now. I think the way I originally organised it was better. Before all my ideas were written on post-it notes and I could just throw the post-it away when I didn’t need it any more. Now I don’t really have a way of checking off an idea if I’ve written that particular post.

My Bullet Journal Method | bluchickenninja.com

I keep a list of all the books I’m going to review, many of these are review copys so I do my best to review each one I get. This page really hasn’t changed much, its just more condensed. At some point I may add a check box for sharing on bookbridgr/ netgalley.

My Bullet Journal Method | bluchickenninja.com

I started out by writing a new entry every day however I found that I typically do the same things each day and was therefore wasting time by writing entrys.

My Bullet Journal Method | bluchickenninja.com

I’ve changed now and have one weekly to-do list. Its really easy for me to see what posts need to be written in a single week and its a better way of managing everything since I tend to have days when I don’t write anything and days when I write multiple posts.

47 Responses to “My Bullet Journal Method”

1. Anonymous

Hi, thanks for all your post. It gives me ideas on how to organize.

2. Desperado

That’s actually a really nice method to organise yourself and keep on top of things in an orderly manner. I’m always struggling with getting things done, especially when it comes to blogging commitments. One moment, I’ll be all hyped and the next I’m just lost.

3. Anonymous

Thanks for sharing all these things. I’m having hard time organizing myself. My calendar notebook, journal notebook, things to do, done etc. I think they should really be in one notebook as I can’t carry all of them where I go, due to the nature of my work.

4. ginnybosch

Since I’ve been trying to post more regularly, I just started blog journal as well. I love this post, thank you so much for the much need advice! The fun colors and post its are lovely and I really enjoy the simple layout.

5. abibliophobictendencies

OMG! You are so organzied! I really wish I could be that organized, and this looks like a totally awesome Idea. Im lucky if I remember to brush my hair in the morning (totally kidding). I’ve started taking notes on books that I read so I have them, but I have a terrible time remembering to put my book down to take notes! Anyways again your blogging method is so awesome

Yeah I don’t take too many notes while reading. But I’ve found its really useful to write stuff down if there is a specific thing I want to talk about.

6. Kristin

Love this! Doing everything online is quite tiring; I’ll definitely be experimenting with something similar!

7. kfwilliams2015

Really interesting! I have a note book with some random scribbles and no structure… I may have to take a few pointers from this post! Maybe then I will post more regularly rather than just when I feel inspired!!

8. Eileen On

These are great tips. After reading your last post I did go out shopping for a new notebook. Nothing struck my fancy so I’m using one I already had and am focusing on handwriting my first drafts. I’m also trying Trello for an electronic version of your post-its and templates.

Yeah I can understand that. I find choosing a new notebook really difficult. I usually end up doing loads of research online before I pick something.

I really need to check out Trello. I had tried todoist but that looks much better.

• Eileen On

Trello looks to be closer to the method you are already using. It’d be sad though, if you converted completely to digital – the notebooks themselves are art!

9. ekatemari

Good system! Whenever I’ve tried anything similar I’ve found myself writing endless to-do lists instead of actually doing the thing that I need to do… Maybe I just don’t have the discipline. Thanks for the post! 🙂

10. Magpiemakingdo

Love this! Bullet journalling has been a really interesting experiment – you’ve got some great ideas for ways to alter the system… I may just be borrowing that page marker idea… my journal is so full of crossed out scribbles that it’s crazy!

Hahah borrow all you want 🙂 I’m just constantly changing how I do this bullet journalling thing. I think I need to do another post since I’ve changed the calendar bit again.

11. Arya D.

I’ve been meaning to look up bullet journaling but haven’t yet. I currently have a blogging notebook I use for ideas and a blog planner but bullet journaling might work better for me. Like you I can have a really productive day and then not do anything for my blog the next.