Not-So-Scary Halloween Recommendations

I do not like scary books, I have nightmares if I read anything even the slightest bit scary (not even joking I’ve had nightmares about Harry Potter). So since Halloween is almost upon us I thought I would recommend some non-scary Halloween-ish books.

Not-So-Scary Halloween Recommendations | bluchickenninja.com

The Girl With All The Gifts by MR Carey. *SPOILER WARNING* This book is about zombies. While it’s mostly about a bunch of scientists trying to find a cure for the zombie problem, it’s a little different than most zombie apocalypse type books because the main character, Melanie, is a zombie.

Duma Key by Stephen King. This is a classic Stephen King book. Its about a guy who, after a bad accident, takes up painting as a way of recovery but finds that he can paint the future. And obviously because its Stephen King bad things start happening. But the story doesn’t feel scary because most of it is set in the Florida Keys.

Sabriel by Garth Nix. Okay so I admit I did have nightmares when I first read this but I was eight at the time. This is a really good fantasy book with lots of monsters in it. Its about Sabriel, an Abhorsen, who’s job is to “keep the dead things down“.

World War Z by Max Brooks. Unlike most zombie stories (I’m talking about The Walking Dead here), World War Z is less about the gory zombie killing stuff and is more about the global impact of a zombie apocalypse. Just the way this book is written makes it not feel so scary, its basically a series of interviews with people who survived the zombie apocalypse.

The Three by Sarah Lotz. This book starts out with four plane crashes, there being only 1 survivor from each. We go on from there to see that lots of creepy stuff is going on. Like World War Z this book doesn’t feel scary because of the way its written, as a series of transcripts and interviews.

23 Responses to “Not-So-Scary Halloween Recommendations”

1. Dagny

I loved Duma Key which I read earlier this year on your recommendation. I agree, it’s not too scary – most of the time I was scared for the characters but not for myself because of the location.

2. Lynn Love

There is something about the transcript technique that keeps the reader at arms length from the emotional side of things. I’m sure it’s intentional on the part of the author, but an interesting choice, nontheless.

3. K.L. Allendoerfer

So the Stephen King book is okay for non-scariness? I also don’t like scary books, and as a result I have a love/hate relationship with King. He’s such a great writer but I don’t like the images he can leave in my mind. Some of them have been there for 30 years and I wish they weren’t.

4. Morgan Vega

Thank you for putting this list together!!! πŸ™‚ I’m the same way–a total scaredy-cat. Totally reading all of these!

5. Florida Life Minimalist

I love getting recommendations from you blog! I just finished the second book in the Blake Crouch, Wayward Pines trilogy. Have you read these! I’ve enjoyed them so far!

6. Florida Life Minimalist

The only thing scary in the Florida Keys are the drunks on Duval at 3am πŸ˜€

7. Phil Taylor

I loved Duma Key. Great choice. Not a lot of people know that one. I think I’ll go read it again now. Thanks for reminding me.

8. Sophie

The Girl With All The Gifts really was a good read, I read it on holiday a while back and couldn’t put it down! Thanks for sharing x