On NaNoWriMo

On NaNoWriMo | bluchickenninja.com

So I want to talk about NaNoWriMo for a second. NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) is a project where a bunch of crazy crazy writers try to write a 50,000 word story in a month (this works out to just underย 2000 words a day).

Now the thing is I actually really enjoy writing and would kind of like to take part one year. But I have literally no desire to write a story. You know that saying “everyone has a story in them” well I don’t. I literally have no stories in me to tell. I think it’s because I read so much that I can’t find anything original to write.

But I’m totally okay with that. I’ve written short stories in the past for school and what I have found is that I much prefer writing non-fiction. This thing I do here on this blog, I like this and I want to do more.

So no I am not doing NaNoWriMo this year. No I am not doing blog every day in November. Don’t even try and convince me to do it because I won’t. But I do want to try writing 50,000 words. I want to improve my writing and try writing longer posts. So over the next year I am going to try and write fifty 1000+ word posts.

And I know that literally everywhere you go you’ll find people saying don’t write long blog posts because people never read them. Well I’ve found that the longest post on this blog is also my most viewed so those people can all shut up. Anyway, I’m writing to write, not so people will read it. So yeah….

I should work on my endings.

37 Responses to “On NaNoWriMo”

1. tejinas

Personally I love the madness of NaNo, but yeah it’s not for everyone. And the thing about people not reading long blog posts is BS some of my favorite blogs to read have word counts of 1k words or more if not daily quite often. A writer should never feel like it’s an obligation or chore to write though, then it’s not fun.

I look forward to reading your blog in the future (Already enjoy it now). Good luck on your goal!

2. stuffthatneedssaying

I don’t have a novel in me either. I’ve tried NaNoWriMo a few times and get through maybe 3 days before I give up. I am writing a nonfiction book though so maybe this month I could set a goal for how much progress I’ll make.

3. lola gayle

Oh my! I just now posted about this too! I can do 50,000 words easy in less than a month. But dang…after writing all day for work, my brain is fried and all I want to to do is open a beer, turn on Netflix, eat, and go to bed. I may try. I may not. If you decide to, let me know and I’ll follow you.

4. Ninette D.S

This is my 3rd year in attempting NaNoWriMo and I know I won’t write a 50K novel by the end of the month, but I want to take part just for fun and see how many words I end up with ๐Ÿ™‚ .. Like you said its full of crazy, crazy writers and I’m only one “crazy” so nope no chance of 50k from me either haha … Excited to read your 1000 word posts, throughout the year!

5. nileshginamdar

It’s great to write anything, as long as you write. That’s all that matters. I’ve done NaNo twice and I’m doing it for the 3rd time now. Hope to complete it.

• Lynn Love

Yes, sounds good. keep us posted if you decide to go for it – it would be interesting to hear about your experiences.

• Lynn Love

You have? That’s great. How’s it going? Is it like NaNo, where you have a set word count everyday? Are you finding it stressful to do alongside your course? And what are you writing? Be interesting to hear – when you have the chance. I can see you’re up to your eyes in work at the moment ๐Ÿ™‚

I don’t have a set time scale, well actually I do, I’m trying to do it in a year. It’s really more I write about every day stuff, not necessarily about my life (though the first proper post has been about my life). The first one is actually now on my blog, I have 3 more I’m working on. They should be up at some point.

• Lynn Love

That’s great – and a nice, long term plan. Good to get into the writing habit – though you’ve had that for some time ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ll look forward to reading your posts

6. Anonymous

I did it last year.

Some people write non fiction, screenplay or memoirs. I am using it to work on some writing exercises and journal but you’re not alone in not having a story to write.

7. Magpiemakingdo

Write away (and at whatever pace you want)! I’ll be reading for sure. I never put much stock in all the “blogging advice” anyway – mainly because most of the advice out there is exactly the opposite of what I look for in my own blog reading. Do what you love, and do what makes you happy!

(PS – nonfiction for the win! =P)

8. Charlie

I love writing to write as well. I’m not doing anything official but doing what I’m doing seems to be okay with me.