I Like Star Trek

I Like Star Trek | bluchickenninja.com

Here is something you probably don’t know about me. I collect Star Trek books. At the minute I have about 30 Star Trek books, most of them being from Voyager. But in the past I had at least 60 or 70 Trek books (quite a number of them were damaged when our house flooded a few years ago, I must have lost at least £200 worth of books). As you may be able to guess I am a fan of Star Trek and have been for pretty much as long as I remember.

You know how teenagers go through that phase of having their entire bedroom covered in posters of their favourite boy bands or actors. Yeah that was me but with Star Trek. Now here’s the thing, when I was in school liking Star Trek was not cool and as such I was terrified of letting my friends know I liked Star Trek. So whenever I had friends over I would spend hours hiding my posters/ videos/ DVDs/ books anything Trek related you can think of.

Now the point I’m trying to get across is this, don’t be afraid to show you love something. This is probably more useful to my younger audience (do I have any teenage readers?) but could be applied to anyone. It’s a lesson that has taken me years to learn. Now I don’t care who finds out. Yeah I like Star Trek and I’m not afraid to say that. But when I was a kid I thought my friends would judge me because I liked a nerd thing.

I suppose now this advice doesn’t really apply so much to nerd culture. I still find it strange to see that being a nerd is mainstream. I mean it’s so mainstream you can walk into a clothing shop and find t-shirts with ‘NERD’ or ‘GEEK’ on them. Being a nerd is cool now. It’s almost expected.

So though this advice doesn’t really apply to being a nerd anymore I still think it’s an important piece of advice. Don’t be afraid to tell people you love something.

25 Responses to “I Like Star Trek”

1. Lynn Love

It’s so hard, though, isn’t it, to stand out from the crowd when you’re a teen and all you want is acceptance and to fit in. I remember painfully and vividly wanting to wear the same clothes as my friends, wanting to roller skate (for that was fashionable at the time!) but I couldn’t skate and had a weird lumpy frame that meant peddle pushers and ra-ra skirts didn’t suit me, so I felt isolated, unfashionable unhappy in my own body.
    But they do say that creative types are outsiders to a greater or lesser degree, so you’re right – we should be happy in our otherness. Now I just need to convince my son of that 🙂

I think it doesn’t help that kids can be quite mean. If you’re different kids have a habit of making fun of you for it. Or at least that is what I found.

• Lynn Love

Absolutely! There’s nothing kids are better at than finding someone’s weakness. I was a plump kid with an accent different from everyone else’s and that was enough to earn several years of bullying at secondary school. You have to me strong to withstand that kind of pressure day after day. Is it any wonder so many young people suffer mental health problems? I’m sorry to hear you had problems at school – I feel for you. But achieving what you have shows the bullies up for what they were – ignorant, nasty idiots. 🙂

Have to admit I wasn’t bullied at school, I just didn’t have many friends. But I still got the occasional mean comment.

I don’t think it helps with social media now, it’s really easy for kids to be bullied on Facebook/ Tumblr ect.

• Lynn Love

Too easy for adults too – just think of all those trolls, nothing but school bullies with the entire social media as their school yard.

2. nerdywordybirdy

I was a teen when I started reading your blog (so you used to have at least one!) and I’m so glad you posted this! Confidence is something I struggled with a lot in grade school and it’s gotten a lot better as I’ve gotten older but it’s so nice to be reminded once in a while. 🙂 Really enjoyed this!

3. Aimer Boyz

I’m not quite the fanatic I used to be but I am still a Trekkie 🙂 I can hardly wait for the next movie to come out! I love Zachary Quinto as Spock. At one point, my car had a “My Other Vehicle is a Romulan Warbird” bumper sticker. It embarrassed the hell out of my daughter when she drove it to school 🙂

Yes, own what you like…mind you, that’s easier when you’re not in high school 🙂

4. jrose88

My parents are computer engineers and total nerds, so for many years they hoodwinked me into thinking that being really into Star Wars and Star Trek was cool. I never really mentioned it in school though. It never seemed to come up, and even when I had friends over I didn’t have many books. I guess not being very interested in putting posters on my walls saved me some teasing, maybe… I didn’t have a ton of friends though, and maybe they wouldn’t have thought it uncool. The area I live in is full of tech people who are also probably huge nerds.

5. mswalsh

For me ST:TNG (& Red Dwarf) we were known as the nerd herd but we didn’t care.
    On the other hand within that we all had our own tastes, and in my case some of it wasn’t necessarily to the taste of my friends – I didn’t care, I liked what I liked and that was that, but due to a certain amount of slagging (now-a-days it might even be considered bullying) it has made me reluctant to share all of my likes and dislikes or opinions.
    I cling to the idea that although it kicked my confidence it never changed my mind on what I liked (Cadfael) and disliked (football).

One of my prized ST books was a cross-over with the X-Men!

6. MidnightBanshi

Star Trek books have their own charm. I have read books from each of the different series’, and each one has their own charm. The six-part “Double Helix” set was amazing, as well as a DS9 3-part one that for the life of me I can’t recall the title. “Q In Law” from TNG was brilliant (even more when you hear the audio book). You can always find a great story in the Star Trek universe!

7. Don Massenzio

In my MBA program I actually did a project differentiating the management styles of Captain Kirk and Captain Picard. My classmates thought I was nuts. The professor was a closeted Treker and gave me a perfect score.

8. tbpauly

Not a bad place to read some Science Fiction. Used to love some of the Star Trek TOS fiction, like Kathleen Sky’s Vulcan!