On Reading Slumps

On Reading Slumps | bluchickenninja.com

I want to talk about reading slumps today because I have been going through one. There is really no reason for it, I just don’t want to read right now. I have so many books I’ve been wanting to read but I’m just not in the mood for reading right now and I’m perfectly okay with that. But it seems that the general consensus on the internet is that reading slumps are a bad thing. And I think it’s because people feel like they need to read because they see everyone else reading 3 or 6 or however many books each month and they feel bad because they only read one or maybe even none.

And the thing is nobody’s forcing you to read. It’s this thing we all do for fun. So you shouldn’t feel bad about not reading because you don’t actually have to do it. It’s just that when you are in this book community you feel like you need to read a specific number of books every month or year because that’s what everyone else is doing. If you’re forcing yourself to read because you want approval from other people you really need to think about your priorities because the only person who cares about how many books you read is yourself.

And yeah okay maybe this not wanting to read books phase just so happens to coincide with my discovering Sherlock fanfics but I don’t really care. I don’t want to read books right now so I’m not going to and I’m also not going to get all worked up over it.

35 Responses to “On Reading Slumps”

1. thebookishuniverse

I was in a reading slump for 8 months and l recently rejoined the book community and read my first book this month. It’s okay that you’re in a reading slump and some times I think it’s necessary.

2. moonike

I think, what people also do not realise is that their interests shift and rotate. I used to draw a lot and had tons of inspirations a few years ago. Not so much anymore, same with knitting or crocheting, while watching anime, cause I’m more a bookish girl now. But that’s not going to stay forever like that. And I might either something new or return to an old hobby after a while.

Maybe also, part of the slump-guilt is that people who buy their books (rather than go to the library) feel obliged to read all the time, cause they’ve put money into it.

Or maybe they feel simply lost and confused without a book in their hand.

Interesting topic, really. Enjoy the Sherlock fanfics!

I don’t know so much about feeling guilty for not reading because I’ve bought books. But I’ve definitely been annoyed if I’ve paid full price for a book and not liked it. But thats more I feel bad about wasting my money on something I’m not going to keep.

3. ParallelLookingGlass

This is very true. In my opinion, it’s best to just do what makes you happy. I think we all get a bit too caught up in what we “SHOULD” be doing. We should be doing whatever the heck makes us happy. That can be something completely different for each and every one of us.

4. Angela Sylvia

I hit slumps like this all the time. Then I wind up starting and stopping seventeen different books because I can’t get into any of them. Sometimes you just have to admit you want to marathon a season of the Mindy Project instead of reading all of the new YA.

5. Run Wright

I think it’s completely fine to not read for a while. I’ve done it. And it didn’t make me any less of a reader. Read because you enjoy it. Read when you enjoy it. And good for you for doing things your way.
    That being said, when you’re ready to return to reading, may I suggest my own short story collection.

6. madbooklove

Several times a year, I have reading slumps. Sometimes it’s a few days, sometimes it’s weeks. I used to get frustrated by them, but now I just let it go. If my brain says it needs to take a break and binge watch GOT or Grey’s Anatomy, that’s what I’m doing. If I’m overtaken by a crafting bug and want to knit for a month straight, I do (and sometimes put on a non-fiction audiobook while I do it). And when I’ve got whatever it is out of my system, and I’m ready to read again, it’s with renewed energy and passion. It is possible to burn out on things that we love. It doesn’t mean we are any less in love with them, any less committed, any less a fan. Love this post and your perspective on reading slumps. 🙂

Yeah I don’t see any point in trying to force it. I’ll probably start reading more when I’m back at college since I need something to do on the train!

7. Dean

I’ve also been in a slump lately, and funny enough, a few other people I know are in reading slumps too–maybe there’s something in the air? I just picked up the new Harry Potter “book” today, so hopefully that will get me out of it 🙂

8. Maria Harrison

I got into a reading slump because I discovered Dr. Who, finally. Normally reading something lighthearted and easy (Like Flavia deluce or Stephanie Plum or Discworld) gets me back into it.

That is a totally understandable reason for not reading. I actually just found out there is 7 seasons on Netflix. Think I may need to go on a little Doctor Who marathon!

9. lumosnox432

This is something I’ve been struggling with myself! I’m known as the bookworm by my friends and when I go through book slumps it’s like I’m letting them down by not reading a book… but I enjoy reading so much, and it’s taken me a long time to realize that I don’t want to force myself to read during these slumps because I tend to enjoy whatever I’m reading less.

10. madbooklove

Also, I was wondering where you got your shelving? We just moved house and I’ve got to find some creative ways to shelve all my books. Been perusing IKEA…Thanks!

I have a Hemnes bookcase from IKEA which I love. But in that photo it’s just sheets of window board I got from a local diy place.

11. Lizzy

There are definitely times I give myself permission not to read. Especially when the weather is nice and I just want to be outside ALL THE TIME! Hehe.

12. Anotherer

I went through a really long slump when I was in college. Who wants to read more after finishing 50 pages of assigned reading each day? I graduated in May, and am just now starting to read a little bit again.

It’s not a bad thing to take breaks. It’s necessary at times.

13. mythicalmusingsblog

I hit a really bad reading slump recently thanks to starting full time work, but I am forcing myself to read 100 pages an evening before bed. Mainly because I would otherwise be returning from work simply to eat, sleep, shower, and then back to work again. I used to read 6 books a week and right now I’m only completing 1 if I am lucky!

Oh wow 6 books a week? Don’t think I’ve managed that much and I (used to) read a lot. I suppose I just don’t want to force myself to do something. Especially when its not necessary.

14. mdf1983

When I am in a slump I just try to make a goal… My favorite goal is: “read at least as much each week as I watch television”. After a few weeks of trying to do this I generally discover that the things I have read are so much more impactful and significant than the hours I may have spent in front of the tube. That generally gets me excited to read again!

15. seekateread

I totally agree this just happens sometimes and the pressure is terrible. Related, even if I am enjoying a book, I sometimes feel pressure to read it faster so I can talk about it and move on to the next one. I’m trying so hard to consciously remember I joined the book community to talk about a love of books, now how many or at what speed I read.

See it’s got to the point where I don’t want to read a book as fast as I can. I actually enjoy taking my time and going at my own pace. I know with new popular books there is a huge pressure to read it as fast as possible but thats not something I pay attention too anymore. I suppose I’ve learned my lesson after reading the Harry Potter books within 12 hours of them coming out.

16. emmagrayce

I totally relate to this. I also find there are times when reading “slumps” mean you’re reading a different type of book… I tend to read a lot of historical work or work that’s fairly poetic and occasionally want a book that requires less focus/ I don’t read as much as some people because I like to analyze what I’m reading. It’s not a competition! (unless you make it one)